Do parents teach their kids anymore?

Nowadays there's a camp or a class for everything. Cooking, horseback riding, all the sports, cheerleading, ballet, languages, writing, theatre, rock bands, etc.

I remember when I was growing up, everything I learned (aside from riding a bike) I learned by spending time with and watching my elders.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• LMAO I agree there is a class for parenting too....Kid don't even have mannors today, well some don't but your are right there is a class for everything..Crazy huh!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• They have classes for manners too! LOL

I live in a big city and in the local parent magazine, every May there are literally 20 pages of line by line listings of the different camps in town. It's just crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I often wonder the same thing about basic manners and respect and just in general right from wrong.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i went to camps for some things, but it was more b/c i already had a high interest in it and it was my parents way of nurturing that interest. but if my daughter wants to learn how to ride a horse at some point, i've never ridden a horse so how do i teach her something i don't know. could i sit on a domestic horse and ride it in its yard, probably, could i teach her the proper way for things no. same w/ballet, theater (i failed every theater class i took), some sports, instruments, i don't know any of these things. and why should she not be able to learn it b/c i don't know it? i had tennis lessons, which i love to play, and wouldn't have learned the rules of the game if it weren't for the lessons, i'd have just learned to hit the ball and not even that properly.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm 48, and I learned some things from "my elders", but there were many things that I learned in school & classes as well. Our world has changed so much, and become so specialized, that very often parents don't have the skills that a child wants to learn. Sewing and cooking used to be a skills all girls learned, & not just from their mothers, but in home ec at school. Home Ec is now optional, and many schools don't even offer it any more. Many mother's don't cook a lot, and don't sew at all, so if a child wants to learn those skills they need to find other places. Although I think kids need down time, & I've been a SAHM who spent a lot of time with my kids, I also think it's great that there are so many opportunities for kids to explore their own abilities. There was no place to learn theater where I grew up. Rock band camp? I want to go!! More women in the workforce, & higher cost of living often limits the elders available.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I can understand if you don't know how to do something. But cooking? C'mon. These camps aren't teaching the kids the Gordan Ramsey style of cookiing. They're teaching them to read a recipe and chop some veggies. Why can't they learn that at home with mom and/or dad?

When I was growing up, the most extravagant camp was Space Camp.

I did learn a lot of things in camp like archery, rappelling, and how to ride a horse English style. But we did A LOT of things at camp. Now they have camp specific things. I like the YMCA style camps where you do all sorts of different things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think it might have to do with the times changing... both parents working full time in allot of situations. people think they need to have big fancy houses and nice fancy cars... over time people have lost interest in the simple things.
    Feeling the need to have expensive things = having to work more hours and longer days = not being able to spend time with family = easy outs such as classes to teach the kids what you feel you "don't have time for"
    Or something like that.....
    I worry sometimes about the way people bring up they're kids not that all is bad don't get me wrong, cus I know I wish I could spend more time with my kids but being a single mom I gotta work to provide for them... I worry even about the way my own kids are being brought up. I didn't raise them seems like daycare did. I hate it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The classes are offered because many times these aren't skills that the parents have, yet they want their kids to have them... If a single dad can't cook, why would it be bad for his kids to take a cooking class? Or hell, most city parents have never seen a real horse but want their kids to have the chance to ride them... Same with all the other things you listed... If you want your kids to be well rounded and achieve better than you then you have to be willing to admit you can't do it all. And in families with more that one child there is even less of a chance that parents can teach most of these skills to each child... what exactly is wrong with offering classes?? At one point everyone learned to read, write and multiply at home as well - are you against school too?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• speaking of parents not teaching their kids...if i wasn't a decent person i would be rich by now. i'm a cashier and when someone sends their child in to buy something, they give me all the money (change or one dollar bills) and they are clearly old enough to count change.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Cooking, check, sewing, check, fishing (including how to catch, clean and cook the fish), check. Horseback riding? Those things are big and scary, not going to be able to teach my son that. Thought about sending my son to an art and music camp for 3 year olds till I realized it was just listening to music, a bunch of different art stations, and making coffee can drums and water bottle maracas. I can do that at home thanks. But I know a lot of parents who do not have my skill set so how would thier kids learn to do things? I think thats what those camps are supposed to be for.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009