Does anyone baptize their babies on here

and if so, do you notice how hard it is these days. You usually have to be a practicing catholic or member of a catholic church and you have to have God parents and it has to be a male and female or if married they have to be married in the catholic church. They require so much from you and all I want to do is baptize my child. Is there any other church or anything else I can do that wont make me jump through hoops to have my baby blessed? It's just me and hubby and siblings no family or God parents. Can you still have your child dedicated to God in a christioan church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• most christian churches do baptizims, and dedications. not just catholic.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 3:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would day it depends on the church... There are catholic churches that are strict and others that are not so strict.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We had my son baptized in his familys luthern church with no difficulties. I don't believe a baby NEEDS to be baptized.. I did it to make him and his family happy. I will encourage my son to be baptized again when he's of age of understanding exactly what it means to be baptized and after he acknowledges Jesus as his savior. You can have your baby blessed (dedicated) by a pastor.. I'm nazarene and I know we do it. That way you can save being baptized for them to decide their selves.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Are you wanting to baptize your child because its just something you think you should do or because you know what baptism stands for and you believe what baptism stands for?

All Christian churches baptize. Some, like Catholic churches, baptize infants and others baptize when the person is old enough to make the decision themselves. In churches that baptize later in life, dedication of infants is the standard practice.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Baptist churches, are ceremonial and you don't have to go through hoops.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yes I do :)
    This is a big day for your family, and you want to do the right thing. Choosing godparents is a decision not to be taken lightly. Too often parents want to honor a special friend, repay a favor, or encourage a nonrelative to have a closer relationship with their child. While all of these motives are well intentioned, they are not ideal. If you want to be happy about your decision, consider the following.

Above all, a godparent serves a special role for one to be baptized, whether it be a child or an adult. Godparents are to represent the Christian Catholic community, the Church. They are to assist in the preparation of adult candidates for Baptism and to be supportive of them afterwards. When it comes to infant Baptism, godparents are to assist the child's parents in raising their child in our Catholic faith, so that the child may profess and live it as an adult.

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newslet
    mom4life2009

Answer by mom4life2009 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We weren't officially members of our Church when we had our children baptized, so you could probably find a church that will do it if you aren't a member. We had only one Godparent, a woman, so you don't need 2, and if they can't make it you can have somebody step in and be a sponsor for them that day. Call and talk to one of your local churches and see what you can work out and get some more info, I don't think it will be as hard as you might think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yeah, I think there are tons of denominations that do christenings, or blessings of babies; they may not be actual baptisms (some save that for older ages) but they're still sweet and special.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It comes down to examining what you think baptism is. For Catholics, baptism is much more than symbolic. It actually does something- washes away original sin, provides grace from God, marks the child as part of the Church and part of the New Covenant. And since an infant is being baptized, it's done based on the faith of the parents who promise to raise the child in the Catholic faith. That the couple is not part of a Catholic Church and/or are not practicing Catholic - it would indicate that they're not intending to raise the child in the Catholic faith. If that's the case, it's best to postpone the baptism until the child decides for themselves. Godparents help the parents raise the child in the Catholic faith and so again - if they're not practicing Catholics then how much help would the be in raising a child in a faith they don't practice?
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yes I have always believed in baptism. Been baptised is having an enternal life with Jesus Christ. No one can obtain salvation from Christ unless they do so through the One, Holy, Catholic, the visible Body of Christ. For it is through the Sacraments of the Holy Catholic Church that is found the fullness of the grace of God that is absolutely necessary for salvation. Through faith in Christ and the Sacrament of Baptism, your child receives his new heart, his new spirit and the indwelling Holy Spirit, all these being necessary to manifest a living faith in Christ.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 8:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009