birth control dilemmas

I'm not happy with my current birthcontrol. I have had the mirena IUD for almost 2 1/2 years. It was great for awhile...but now i have gained 15lbs...eating healthy and excersize every day and can't shed the weight...problems with emotions never had before...i cry on the drop of a dime for no reason. and chronic head aches! i also think it has caused me cysts. i'm having it removed October 6th and would like someinput on pills or other methods...not sure what i want to use!

lovinMYtwins07

Asked by lovinMYtwins07 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Health

• I use the Nuva Ring. I had a hard time remembering to take my pills every day. The nuva Ring is a small vaginal ring that when inserted properly you (and your hubby!) can not feel. You leave it in for three weeks, and then take it out for a week to have your period, and then put in a new one and wash, rinse, repeat.
    You can also ask your doctor about continued use, which is where instead of 3 rings for 3 months, they give you 4 rings for 3 months so you just keep one in constantly and not have a period.

Also, I have had no weight gain, no mood swings, no negative side effects. Overall I have a much lighter period and no cramps. I have been on it since I had my daughter, so a little over a year now.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Are you planning to have more children or are ready to say that your family is complete and that you don't want any more children? If it is the later, I would highly recommend the Essure sterilization method. It is an in office, non-surgical, permanent form of birth control. The OB goes in through a catheter and implants coiled filiments into your fallopian tubes. Over the course of 3 months, you tubes scar over and become blocked. A dye test is done at the 3 month mark to verify that your tubes are closed.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I believe the reason so many of us have problems with birthcontrol is that there are hormones in birthcontrol..... I have done some research ( not a whole bunch but some) and there is an IUD that has no hormones which is what it use, you can research it on the internet if you like its called paragaurd, its a copper IUD w/o hormones and low doses of copper that do not affect your health.... I have had no problems with it except for the heavier, longer periods that only last for the first 4-5 months, after they regluate due to the fact that there are no hormones. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• thanks i appreciate all of the input!
    lovinMYtwins07

Answer by lovinMYtwins07 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2009