Why does baby cry every time I try to breastfeed?

Everything started out great, but now every time I try to breastfeed him, he starts to cry and won't eat! I've tried different positions, but nothing seems to help. I had the same problem when my other kids were babies, and had to start pumping at four months with them. I don't know what his problem is! The only time we don't struggle over it is when he's mostly asleep.

Deanna_Lynne

Asked by Deanna_Lynne at 3:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you given him bottles? If you have, he probably is preferring the bottle because it's easier to get milk out of it. That's a pretty easy fix... just don't give any more bottles. That's probably the most common reason for fussing at the breast.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Is he latching on properly? My son had difficulty and I ended up needing a nipple shield to allow him to latch. Try calling the lactation consultant at your doctor's or hospital where you delivered to brainstorm some ideas and solutions. Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Besides what has been mentioned above check baby for Thrush.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I just posted a similar question about a week ago because I was having the same problem. I had been giving my daughter a bottle a day and breastfed for all the other feedings so I think she got used to the easy flow and was impatient with my let-down when I tried to breastfeed. I stopped giving her bottles about a week ago and that's helped. Also, if I try to really relax when she's trying to feed, the milk will let-down faster. It's hard to relax when your baby's crying but it really did help and now she's not fussing when I try to feed her!
    MollieDoll

Answer by MollieDoll at 5:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Over active let down? Anything else going on? Any bottles or food given? All these can factor in.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009