Interview and Pregnancy

I'm going to have an interview at a sports store... do I tell them I'm 18 weeks pregnant or not?
I dont' necessarily LOOk prego... I could just look fat..
but then when I am hired if I am hired, do I wait n tell them and if so when?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would definetly tell them, as they will eventually find out anyway. That would be descrimination if you were not hired because you are pregnant. I am just an honest person and would feel bad if i did not tell the truth. Of course i know employers sometimes don't want to hire pregnant women and it would be hard if not impossible to prove you weren't hired due to being preg, It really is a hard call.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I was looking for a job while pregnant and made the mistake of volunteering the info in one interview. I didn't get that job - the interviewer tried to give me reasons why I wouldn't be able to do the job (it was department store sales clerk, so i know she was just trying to get me to back out so she wouldn't have to tell me I wasn't hired). I got a different job and waited until after my probationary period was over to bring it up to my manager (I prooved that I was capable of doing the job without any special accomodations before I brought up my need for maternity leave). Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• DON"T TELL THEM. They can not "not" hire you because your pregnant its against the law BUT they will. They'll find a 100 other reasons why. I love the people that say , well if they don't you'll have a major lawsuit. No you won't, they just tell the judge the same thing. Good luck!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i wouldn't tell them. it is not lying because they cannot ask you.

i had sort of a similar problem when i was in college. i never could find a job during the summer (couldn't keep my regular job because housing would be too expensive in same city during summer). first i told everyone, just for the summer. then i stopped because otherwise i would never get a job and have no money to pay the bills!

of course if you don't tell them in your interview then you have the uncomfortable situation of telling them afterwards, which should be soon since you will be almost half way soon.

good luck on your interview, whatever you decide!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• you are not legally obligated to disclose that information and i recommend that you do not tell them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You need to tell them. If something should happen (if you get hired) and you get hurt because of your job, you could have issues if you didn't tell them you are pregnant. Not to mention, being pregnant may inhibit you from full ability to do the job in question, plus you will need to be put on maternity leave in the future. To not tell them would, IMO, be wrong. You aren't giving them all the information to make an informed decision as to who to hire. They will find out eventually and hiding it could cause problems in the future.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• What i would do is the same thing the millitary does, don't ask don't tell. Though it is on different things. But unless they ask you legally don't have to tell them until after you have the job. And if they fire you after wards anyways you can press charges and see where that gets you. But I would wait a while before telling them at least until you have the job and have been there a few weeks.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• DO NOT TELL THEM. like staci said, you have absolutely no legal obligation to mention it at an interview. and they cannot legally ask you, it's not apart of the interview. tell them after you get hired.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009