Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My exhusband has still not informed me of this but i just found out hes moving in 2 weeks. the place he is moving is over an hour drive away from where i live.... he is supposed to tell me 30 days before he moves (its in the custody and visitation order) so how can i work around the visitation laws...cause im not going to have my son go that far away from me for visitation... he gets him every other saterday from 10am to about 8pm.... What are the rules about the noncustodial parent moving...... does anyone else have a situation like this? (oh and im tryin to get restraining order on his fiance-theyr getting married on oct 17th-cause she keeps threatening can that play in the custody visitation thing? and hes probably quitting his job for the move....)

Answer Question

Asked by trystons_mommy at 3:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 14 (1,507 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • You may need to call your attorney. Unless your custody agreement spells out how far away he can move, (most do now days) he will be able to move where ever he wants. An attorney may be able to stop this if you go right away. You will probably have to split the driving, but you may be able to make him do the driving. If he's only seeing them on the weekends, they will probably let him make that move. As for the fiance, that will probably depend on a judge. Good luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 3:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • I'd contact your lawyer and talk to him/her about the situation and see what your options are. I hope all works out!

    Answer by MizLee at 3:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

  • Contact a lawyer, if your custody order says he has to give 30 days notice, then you have 30 days to figure something out with your lawyer. See if the lawyer thinks you should confront him about it, or wait till he tells you. You may have to split driving, but maybe not, depends on the judge.
    And really, an hour isn't that far. DH has looked at jobs with a longer commute and we live in a rural area with no traffic. Its much more important that your child see his father and have a good relationship with him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.