My 2 year old wakes up during the night screaming...walking around...sometimes he will lay on the floor in the living room, sometimes he walks to the door. It is awful. It takes about 10 minutes until he allows me to touch him! Does anyone have any suggestions?

tabarismom

Asked by tabarismom at 3:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• never had the issue but heard of it, and think they are called night terrors, (not nightmares diff things...) but that in those cases, you should leave the child alone til he/she wakes on their own b/c waking them up forcefully can be scarier for them than whatever they are dealing w/and that most kids w/them won't recall them in the morning (where as a child who wakes from a nightmare may recall the waking from a nightmare not so much the child waking from a night terror) once again though just read about them, you may want to do some research and see.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Allows you to touch him? You are the parent. Pick him up and take him back to his bed as many times as it takes, don't say anything, just put him back in bed. I promise this works, it may take 20 times, but eventually the child will get tired of it and go to sleep.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• mandielynn
    If he isn't aware that she is there he is having a night terror. Picking him up will only prolong the terror because even though he looks awake, he is still in a dream state.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• He is having night terrors. My son had this from the time he was 3 until 6....it's common in boys this age. Don't listen to the poster above...do not touch him--it's kinda like sleep walking. Turn on the lights and talk calmly to him. It's like sleep walking but usually they're in a nightmare and aren't awake. I would put a call into his dr just to ask about it, but they do grow out of this.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'd put a babygate in front of his door but leave the door open, put a night light in his room and or maybe leave the tv on for him, or on a timer.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree with jademom and vbachmommy the worst thing you can do is to grab or scare them more. I think this will only make things worse for him. I would research like suggested and see what your options may be to help him.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It sounds like sleepwalking/night terrors to me. I'd just be sure that he's safe i.e. can't fall down stairs or get into something he shouldn't and he'll go back to bed on his own (or fall asleep wherever he's wandered too) or follow him until he wakes/you feel it's ok to redirect him back to his room.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• He says stuff though... he was calling out his Aunts name and pointing to the door yelling BYE BYE BYE! Is it normal? He sleeps with me so I notice the second he gets out of the bed. He is starting day care for the first time. Does that have anything to do with it?
    tabarismom

Answer by tabarismom at 4:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ooh... maybe the daycare? Could be nightmares. I guess I would call his Ped !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Here is great page on night terrors..

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep/a/night_terrors.htm

Kids can and do talk during them.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009