Two year old with seperation anxiety

I have a two year old daughter that has always been an independent childwho isnt afraid of anything, but over the past two weeks or so she has become very clingy. She follows me around the house, is always asking me to hold her, and she repeatedly says she's scared. When I tell her to go play with her older brother or to play in her room/outside she walks away screaming and continues until I go find her. As soon as I am in her sight she stops crying. I try to give her as much attention as possible, but this really isnt like her! Is this just a phase or is it something more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LeightonClaire

Asked by LeightonClaire at 3:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just a phase...it will pass but enjoy the clingyness as it will soon end and you will wish it hadn't.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• have you asked her what she is scared of?? also play hide and seek and always let her win. that way she will know that just cuz ur in a different room doesnt mean ur gone. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It's definitely a phase. Children are like elastic bands. They go from being independant to clingy off and on.
    There's a great book called Owl Babies. It deals with separation anxiety. I've found it very helpful with my twins.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 4:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Definately a phase! I know my little one is doing the same thing now too. so we now have to tell each other a "secret" before i leave daycare - its our "routine" that has really helped. I just tell her in each ear I love her and she does the same. Her dad has started the high five, pound dog and secrets too and man its hell if he doesnt do all 3 and leaves. at home i just limit what toys or things she is allowed to do in the same room as me. if i'm cooking she can have a bowl and spoon and stand in a spot not in my way, while i do homework she gets colors and paper and if she is noisey she has to go to her room. when i watch tv which is a rareity she can stay with 1 baby and blanket but has to be quiet or go to her room and play.

Try setting up If you want to hang with me, u need to do _____, or go play in your room.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2009