Does your family (parents/siblings) exchange names for Christmas? If so, ho do you choose you gifts?

We do it every year and I'm so over it now. We're all grown adults with kids. During the year we purchase whatever we need or want. Why is it necessary to exchange names with each other? Why can't we just get together for dinner and call it? It's suppose to be like a secret Santa (like you do at work) but you have to call and see what the person does or doesn't already have. Gosh it's time for a new tradition. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• I have a HUGE family. On my dads side there are 6 sisters and they all have at least 2 kids (two have 4, we have 5.. and now some of us have kids, too) so what we do is the kids do a gift exchange and the adults do a gift card white elephant type thing. The kids are always easy to buy for so we don't have to worry about that, then with the adults it is a TON of fun because everyone buys a $25 gift card then draw numbers, whoever gets number one unwraps a gift card then if number two wants it they get that one or they open a new one. And so on, each card can only move three times, and every year at least one person throws in something fun like a $50 gift card or something unusual like to a place no one except one person would want! LOL but we love it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We do the same thing and we also do it with all the kids too. It's better to get one nice gift that you want rather that a bunch of cheap junk you don't. Maybe do a 25$ random gift card exchange.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree with you. It's a big hassle with my family - I'd rather just get together and snack and visit. My husband's family does a gift exchange where every adult brings a gift and we play a game - that is usually fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• With me having two kids and a husband in college, my brother suddenly having 2 kids, and my other brother just getting married... we decided that at this point we are only going to do gifts for the kids. For each other, we visit. It's only a few times a year that my younger brother comes to town, so we count the visit as the best gift.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 4:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't get it. "My husband's family does a gift exchange where every adult brings a gift and we play a game - that is usually fun." What game??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sounds fun!! And the kids are easier to shop for. Thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• When we were home for the holidays (military now, and are stationed too far from home to be home at Christmas), my entire family would get together and do a white elephant gift exchange. It was fun. Everyone would buy kids presents (however many kids they had and for their ages), and kids near the same age would just exchange gifts. But the adults would have to buy a gift, $10-$25, and then they would let everyone draw numbers from a hat. They would go in that order and each person would pick a gift and unwrap it in front of everyone. Some of them are normally gag gifts so its always funny to see people open embarassing stuff. Then the next person in line would pick a gift, and decide if they wanted to keep it or exchange for one of the ones before them. But we added on the rule that the first person in line always got the last choice of what gift they wanted to give them a fair shot. It was fun. Now, we just draw between...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Me, my husband, my sister, her husband, my brother and his fiancee. So we only buy one $25 gift per person. Normally its a movie gift card or restaurant gift card, etc. Something for a night out. It's nice to exchange gifts since we don't get to be home.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My family just started this last year Where we get 25 doller Gift Cards from places we think people would injoy..we dont ask around or anything cause that would give it away..They can use it or switch when they open what they got! So its easier that away..You can draw names and get that person a gift card where you think they would like...what we did was wrap the gift cards in paper or whatever they come with and put them in a box...shake them up and then let everyone pick one out without looking!haha! ITs really really fun!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 1:08 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Sometimes we'll exchange names and just get one gift for that one person.

We always do a white elephant gift exchange. Everyone brings two gifts. One funny, and then a nice/serious one. We set a price limit on it too. It's always a blast!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Sep. 18, 2009