EBF moms...

when did you add something other than breastmilk to your LO's diet? And what was it...my dd is almost 4 months and I see a lot of posts on here saying that the doctor "gave the ok" to start rice cereal but i'm wondering if ebf moms start it so early....thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my little ones at around 4 months on simple cereal mixed with breastmilk. Signs of being ready are: watching you when you eat, can sit up, and make sure she is not sucking the food off the spoon. If she sucks it, she is not ready and I would wait a couple of weeks and try again. However, if you feel she is still being satisfied with only breastmilk, then wait with the food. there is no rush. Once she hits 6 months, though, you should introduce solids.
    Annabel Karmel has written two good books about making your own babyfood, if you are interested in doing that. It is really easy, if you ask me. In the books you can also find advice on the different ages and appropriate food. You can probably find the books at you library. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yep DD just turned 4 months and we started her on solids once a day every other day. She freaks the whole time we eat and makes me feel gulity. If baby shows signs of being ready I say go for it even though I'm kinda a BF nazi but a nice one.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• **OP HERE**
    when you say "if she shows signs of being ready" what do you mean? Sorry...I'm clueless :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You shouldn't start a child on solids before 6 months of age. In addition to that, the should be able to sit up and move the food to the back of their mouth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Baby no longer uses the tounge thrust meaning spit everything out and sits up. I was young with my first child and could only BF for 4 months (had to go back to school) and she would never take formula (I don't blame her) so she was eating table foods at 5 months with my Peds okay. So ask you doc and do what you feel is right.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would suggest going to www.kellymom.com and clicking on starting solids. I have found that site to be very helpful.
    Happy2bMom09

Answer by Happy2bMom09 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I began introducing small amts of veggies around 8 mos. He began eating daily at 11 mos. Once solids are introduced, you are no longer EBF. At 4 mos, she doesn't need anything other then breastmilk, until at LEAST 6 mos. Longer if you prefer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• we haven't officially "started" anything, but my 5month old has tasted a few things here and there, just licked them not really ate anything. I'm waiting till at least 6mons.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 6:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009