What are your family's holiday traditions? Gift exchanges? Food? Activities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Holidays

• For Christmas, well our Christmas holiday starts just before Thanksgiving lol. We get out all our Christmas decorations and put them up the week before Thanksgiving, and then the weekend after Thanksgiving we go get our tree. Last year we went to the Christmas Tree farm and cut down our own tree. the kids loved it so much, we will do it again this year. Then we spend the evening decorating the tree while hubby watches football normally, and we have hot cocoa and some sort of baked quick bread (gingerbread, pumpkin bread or banana bread). Then that night we turn off the lights, turn on all the lighted decorations and the tree, and watch a Christmas movie as a family. We spend the next few weeks Christmas shopping, making homemade decorations, baking, etc. Then Christmas eve we have a huge dinner (just me, hubby and kids), and Christmas morning we open all the gifts and have cinnamon rolls for breakfast! I'm ready already lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Our holiday season actually starts with Halloween.. with many parties/treats and gatherings... then as Thanksgiving gets closer all of the Christmas decorations start coming out and I try to have most of the 22 windows strung with lights and all of the outside large blow ups up and ready.. The trees (yes many of them) go up starting the day after Thanksgiving and MUST be all up and ready by the first of Dec.
    Thanksgiving usually is spent at my MIL's and as for Christimas I do several gatherings... His, mine and everyone/friends...with the 1st one (friends/everyone) being the first weekend of Dec. and the family ones being back to back (dates vary on them)... We go no where on Christmas day... and since we celebrate Yule also... we do a small gift exchange to each other then too....
    Inbetween all of the baking too... school parties etc... I love the Holidays. The more stressed...lol... the more I get done...lol...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well, I have a big family on my side! So this year X-mas is at my house...So I am going to be sending letters out to everyone and hoping everyone shows..lol! We are going to put up Decorations The day after Thanksgiving.But since this is our first house we have to buy everything new..:) so I cant wati...I am just not starting to deorate for FALL!!! But My IL's they have a BIG dinner/family event on X-mas day so It works our perfect this year for me and my family cause I am throwing X-mas the weekend befor Christmas or after! I CANT WAIT
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 1:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• When hubby and I were first together in 1993 and he was in the military, I read in the paper about a tradition that a couple had been doing for over 40 years, and we have done it ever since. Every Christmas he and I exchange letters stating "The 25 things that I love and appreciate about you". Many years the things are simple, such as, "I love watching you play with the kids" or "I appreciate how hard you work for our family". They are such a special part of our Christmas morning, I hope that we continue to do it forever!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:52 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• April can i come to your house?? Those cookies sound good!! We get our stuff out black Friday. Put the tree up and I decorate the wooden beam on the ceiling Thanksgiving or a few days before. Because I can't get to tit with the tree in the way. We have my family over, plus neighbors and missionaries. For Christmas we always make a cake for Jesus and eat it for breakfast t. Then we do stockings (if not then kids won't bother after presents). We then open presents. We do a diner by ourselves. We then turnaround and do Kwanzaa feast a week later. Yeah very stressful. Where we again have all the family, neighbors, and missionaries. We seriously get about 20-30 people here for Thanks. and Kwanzaa. We also buy one present for the kids to open on Christmas Eve and one to open on Kwanzaa.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:40 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• Our holiday season starts Halloween. The Friday before Halloween (sometimes it's the 31 and sometimes not) we Trick or Treat here. Then then either the 31st or the Saturday of the same week, we have a party for my mom and stepdad (it's they anniversary). Then we relax a bit until Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, I make a turkey, a ham, yams, arroz con gandules, potato filling, biscuits, macaroni salad, lettuce with a hot bacon dressing, and pumpkin pie. We eat dinner with my dad, my uncle, my FIL, my two SILs, and my niece.Then Black Friday we go up to my mom's for whatever she decides to make. Monday after we come home and start decorating for Christmas. Then Christmas I make a ham and basically everything else I made at Thanksgiving. We do gifts on Christmas Eve with my daughter and husband's family. Then the weekend after we go up to New York to my husband's aunt's and spend the weekend, do anything gift exchange and come home..
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:39 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Continued....

After the weekend in New York, my dad usually comes bearing moneys. He doesn't believe in shopping. Then the weekend we go to my mom's house and exchange gifts with them, my grandparents and siblings. Somewhere between we stop by my nana and my aunts. Then New Years Eve, we have a little get together with friends. Usually our friend Erik stays and New Year's day we have Pernil (roast pork shoulder) and some other stuff. Then on January 6th, Dia de los Reyes, we give a little gift to each other. Usually the older Spanish women in the family including my mom, get my daughter something small. That ends our holiday season lol
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:43 AM on Sep. 19, 2009

• We use to do a Pollyanna (Secret Santa) but because of some drama in the family, I dont think we're doing that this year, which bums me out because I loved doing it. TRadition for me and hubby have been staying the night at his parents and then opening gifts with them in the morning and then going back to my parents house for Christmas breakfast and gifts. I'm thinking this year will be the same thing, unless we have our own place by then.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009