Gods day of rest

I have a stuid question.. What day is Gods day of rest Saturday or Sunday? I was always under the impression it was Sunday cause we go to Chruch that day, but a lady told me it was Saturday, which is right? Dose it say in the bible that this specific day is my day of rest? I know it says on the seventh day is day of rest but is it that Sat or Sun. If yes where. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• its Saturday, if you think about it Sunday is the first day of the week and god rested on the 7th day.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 4:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The sabbath is Saturday.. 7th day of the week. Sunday is the first day of the week the Lords day which is why many churches have services on Sunday.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• definitely SATURDAY! I have lots of proof and info in regards to this topic if interested let me know

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 4:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• In Mexico the calendar starts on Monday so therefore it will be Sunday in Mexico. In the US the calendar starts on Sunday so the 7th day is Saturday.

My husband takes Thursday as the day of rest. You can get hung up on numbers and days but the gist of the story is to take one day off
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The Jewish Sabbath was Friday at sundown until Saturday at sundown. That is the Jewish sabbath. It was a gift to the Jews, God gave them a day off!!! I wish I had a Sabbath, LOL : ) mom's never do!!!

Anyways, Sunday is the first day of the week and that is when the early Christians would meet together. The Bible says that all days belong to the Lord. You can go to church any day you want to.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Technically it should be Saturday, but for most it's Sunday... Because even though the calendar week begins on Sunday the real week does not start til Monday. So that would make is Sunday... Frankly, I don't think it matters Saturday or Sunday it's all a matter of perception...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Since the days of the week didn't exist when God created the world - humans invented them much later - it really doesn't matter if it's Saturday or Sunday.

What is more important is to look at this from the ancient Isrealite's point of view. Seven is a sign of fullness and perfection. The words for Sabbath and "seven" (shevah) are related. They are words of covenant and oath-making, for to swear an oath is to make a covenant; and, in Hebrew, to swear an oath is to "seven yourself." This is why God reiterates the great sign of the covenant by commanding Israel, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy" (Ex 20:8).

Jesus said He was the Sabbath (Matt. 12:8). The real Sabbath is NOT a day of the week, any more than the real Lamb of God was a member of the species Ovis aries. The real Sabbath, like the real Lamb of God, is Jesus Christ, who is our Rest.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• interesting. Islam does not believe in sabbath days. We do not believe God rested. We believe after the creation of the heavens and earth God rose over his throne and is talking care of every single affair going no in his creation. The quran says..not even a leaf falls without his knowledge/permission. This does not mean that he didn't command people to rest. people need rest. God doesn't.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset. The Sabbath was made for MANKIND (Mark 2:27), not just the Jews. It is a memorial of creation, the signature of the Creator God. The day was not changed by God, but by man. The Jew is not determined by the flesh, but by the spirit (The seventh-day Sabbath is a sign of Whom we serve. (Ez. 20:12) There is no Biblical basis for its change. I could go at this topic all night( it's one of my favorites), but I gotta go to work...
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Depends on which faith community you are a part of, the Jewish faith celebrates on Saturday. Traditional Chrisitanity on Sunday. The point is to take time to focus on God and family and not be so busy about the stuff of life that we neglect our spirits.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009