why is my 5year old saying things like "i hate myself" what do i say or do?

hes a happy kid. i just got remarried and we moved to arizona from utah so i know its been kinda hard but i dont know why he says it.

andreajones1211

Asked by andreajones1211 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He had to have heard it somewhere. I'm sure at his age he doesn't even understand what he's saying. I would just say "but I love you and I hope you don't hate yourself anymore. That makes me sad to think you hate yourself"

Answer by admckenzie at 4:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree with ADMCKENZIE he's prob heard it somewhere and doesn't know what it means, but he gets attention from it. Just reassure him that he is loved and is wonderful. Then change subject.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 4:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I dont know if a 5 year old would not know what that means. I would reassert your love. show special ways you love him. He might be mad and having a hard time with being mad and HATING that he is mad. so it comes out I hate myself? I don t know but I would get into a routine of allowing him to talk for long periods of time and just see what else comes out of his mouth. sometimes there are other things going on in thier heads but without verbalization they dont know what is going on. so getting kiddos to talk is a great way to find out what they are thinking. also doing self portraits and see if there is any thing that is DARK there. if there is dark things talk to him about how special he is... and loved
    linalinda

Answer by linalinda at 2:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Positive reinforcement. Just take every chance you get to tell him what an amazing, special, good person he is. How your family would be lost without him. I am sure he heard it somewhere, it will pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2009