How would you respond if your boss hung up the phone in your face?

My 14 month old was sick all night, so around 7:30 am I called my boss to tell him I could not work my 9-5 shift today. He didn't answer so I left a message, asking him to call me back. By 8:30 he hadn't called me back so took the baby and went in to open the store anyway. I had made a doc's appointment for 10:40 so at 10 am I called him again. This time he answered. He was very pissed but agreed to come in. When he got there I took the baby and left for the doc, then ran back to work to give him a note from the doc excusing me. Then I left for the pharmacy to get prescriptions filled for the baby. During the drive I decided to call the daycare to let them know the baby would be absent for a couple of days, but accidentally dialed work (the numbers are very similar). My boss answered the phone and I realized my mistake; I started to explain wrong number. He slammed the phone down! How would you respond to this?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 4:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't do anything. I would ignore his bad behavior

Answer by admckenzie at 4:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Some people don't understand what it is like to have a sick kid. However, for his defense do you have any idea what it is like to have to cover other ppls asses all the time? I doubt the frustrating he is taking out on you is all BECAUSE of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• lol....I love how it says "hung up the phone in your face." Just being silly, sorry.

I would be upset but unfortunately, your boss seems like the type who doesnt like to do his job and handles situations poorly. I have a feeling that addressing the issue would not get you anywhere if he is that immature all the time. You covered all your bases so you have nothing to worry about. Just focus on your sick baby. Your boss will get over it, thats his job.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I remember being a small business owner. To be honest I really didn't like hiring moms. They missed a lot of work due to sick kids and I had to work their shifts since there were only three of us. Seemed men or women without kids worked best. I worked for three weeks straight when both my employees kids came down with various illnesses. It really sucked the person was probably tired and annoyed. I would let it go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have worked with moms, and have been a mom (obviously), and I heard some downright ridiculous excuses for calling in because the child was sick. I understand what anon:55 is talking about. I was a manager once and there was this lady who's child had everything but the plague at least once a week. I had to let her go.
    So I think ur situation depends on how many times you have called in because your child is sick, and the severity of the illness. If my baby was running a fever, I would take the baby to the doctor, and go in late, or leave early, that's just me. But I've had my child throwing up, and I would just have a family member watch him, maybe you don't have that luxury. I, myself, have gone into work with fevers and upset stomachs, it really takes alot for me to call in. I have been lucky, usually my kid gets sick on my day off. You did do the best you could in this situation, and he'll get over it.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009