What are some good ways to work on ODD issues at home?

I am a single mom and have a 9 year old son that was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD about 4 years ago. The past year the ODD has gotten out of control. I feel like I have tried everything, they work for a little while then he is back to the old ways. He just flats out ignores me some days. I try to be as patient as possible but it is so hard some days not to loose my temper. Anyone have any advise I can use at home?

ktfrmsc

Asked by ktfrmsc at 4:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Get a new Dr to treat his ODD. There may be a need for medications or changes to his med's. ODD is manageable as well as adhd and add.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• First of all, you can't treat ODD with medication (ADHD yes, ODD no). I would say that you need to see a counselor who specializes in behavior modification. They can help you come up with a behavior/consequence chart. The thing about ODD is to have consistency no matter what. Give a warning for a behavior, then tell what the consequence will be, and then stick to the consequence no matter what. Also, you might try giving choices. Rather than saying "you need to clean your room and do your homework" you could say "you can do your homework first or clean your room first." If they say no, then the warning is given with a potential consequence ("if you don't ___, then you're having no video games or TV tonight). Also try to make the consequence fit the crime with variations in consequence for different behaviors (extreme behaviors, harsher consequences). Lastly, REWARD for good behavior as much as you can.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My best friend has a 10 year old that has odd and she has mes to help they help a little but for the most part she is always grounded or in the corner. Two bays ago she wrote on the bathroom walls at school and the stuff that she wrote was insane she was mad at this little girl and said that they killers and crap where coming for the little girl. If you find anything that works let me know.
    sugarbabys

Answer by sugarbabys at 7:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2009