My daughter isn't growing?

My daughter just had her first year check up. According to the dr office, she has not grown or gained weight since January. At her 3 month checkup she was in the 75th percentile for her height and weight. At 6 months she was in the 50th percentile. And she hasn't gotten any taller and she has only gained 1/2 a pound since then, which puts her in the 5th percentile for height and below it for weight.

I asked the dr about it and he said that developmentally, she is ahead of the game and that the measurements are not exact because babies are not very still and a full diaper vs an empty one, a stretch leg vs one curled up, etc can make a big difference in the results and not to worry about it.

Do you think I should get a second opinion or as long as she is developing fine, don't worry about her height and weight?

MrsAce150

Asked by MrsAce150 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i say no sweat if shes healthy.. she will hit a spirt no worries mama
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think as long as she is developing fine and interacting with you fine I wouldn't worry about it, babys all grow in a different way

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well, this seemed to be the same with my son, the 75%, then the 50% then 25% - he's very active and very thin - he eats but he eats like a bird, he's 22 months and only 24.6 lbs, which is still like over 15% I guess but I understand your concern. I thought they were supposed to worry when they are under the 5% so I might try to get a second opinion but you still will probably do more of a waiting game, and as long as she's not sick, still eating, no fevers, diarreha, dehydrated, things like this - I would hope she's fine but I tend to worry that there is always something wrong with my son so I would want a couple tests run and rule out anything for sure! just to be safe!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• She's doing fine... after the 6 month mark they really slow down on growth. With my son in 3 months he didn't gain even an ounce... but the next check up he had gained a pound and an inch....
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my DD is 9 months and only gained 8 lbs in 9 months she is tiny as well but shes really tall in 25% for weight and 95% for height as long as she is healthy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• as long as dr said she is healthy
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 5:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i would want a second opinian if it where me. but every one tells me that i worry about my dd to much.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My daughter was in the 1st percentile for weight and 8th for height. Give it time. My daughters 2 now and still small for her age(24pounds), but now shes taller than most 2 yr olds. Shes happy and healthy and that's what counts I say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• 1%... hmm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My youngest ds was 18 months and weighing and wore 6 - 9 month clothing. My dh and I were concerned. We brought our concerns to the doctor. The doctor had him tested for Celiac Disease, diabetes, and cancer. He tested negative for all of them. We were relieved to know that he was okay. It must be genetics. Since then, he has slowly gained weight and size. It is best to be sure if you have worries, go to your doctor and insist on tests or get a second opinion. If you think something is wrong, listen to that little voice in your head.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 7:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009