If you date (or marry ) a man who has a child(ren) from a previous relationship, and you live together, both work, are you responsible for putting your check in a joint account so he can pay his child support? Why or why not?

he has children from previous relationship, child support question

mommyofone740

Asked by mommyofone740 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• No because if you are married the child support amount only goes off his and the baby's mom's income. not yours
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My man get his child support taken directly out of his check and it is taken off of his income.
    Anonymous

• Dating and living together, no, absolutely not...but once you marry it all comes out in the wash anyway.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No that's his responsibility, even though you're the step mom, the child still has two parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No, for same reasons listed. I was also getting child support for my son, when I was living with bf. He had two to take care of, and they spent plenty of time at my house.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well, dating or living together.....I agree no, but after marriage, I think it depends on your relationship. We had a joint account, all of the bills and expenses came out of it. We consider all of the money our money, so as another mom said "it all comes out in the wash". My child support check went into that joint account, but we paid rent for my son, food for him, his childcare, clothing and everything out of that account.....I don't see how it changes anything, he gets the same care either way, our bills would be the same either way.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It depends on your relationship...me and my fiance have been living together and while I was working our check went in together because i took care of paying the bills so it was just easier for me to have all the money in one account...so technically i could have paid his child support while he could have paid on my credit card...like i said for us it was easier and right, but it wouldn't be right for everyone...it would be something to discuss though...
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 6:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my x's wife has to pay his child support bc he's still a lazy bum
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• me and my So have a joint account but the child support gets taken out of his check every week so we dont have to worry about it.
    alw06tchs

Answer by alw06tchs at 12:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2009