to the mothers who had a baby in the NICU

how did you cope with seeing them hooked up to all the machines? what did you do when you left the hospital and they had to stay there and you came home and saw all your baby's stuff? didn't that just make you wanna brake down? did you feel like something you did made them that way and that its your fault some how?
My baby is still in the NICU after 4 days,and I haven't brought her home yet, how can I take my mind off the guilt and pain? I go the the hospital everyday,and stay there and watch her with all those wires and cods,and it's really getting to me,what can I do?

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i will pray for you and your little one.
    my sister had a hard time with it also. her little boy was in nicu. She almost never left his side. He was in the nicu for 2 and a half weeks and then still in the hospital for another week and a half. I think she left one time to see her other child a little girl. one thing that the hospital let her do was hold him ( when he was at appoint that she could) but they always encouraged her to touch him hold his hand and talk to him.
    The only thing that I can tell you to do to help is to Pray and ask the lord to give you strength and for strength and healing of your little one.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My daughter was in the NICU for over a month. She was hooked up to a feeding tube, oxygen, and all kinds of IVs. I was concerned, but somewhere in my mind I just knew she would be okay. I just had of sense of knowing this somehow. I always wanted to be with her, but never thought that she wouldn't be okay. My hospital had an extra room by the NICU for parents who had babies there. They let me stay there the entire time. That helped alot I think.
    I will keep you and your baby in my thoughts. I hope she goes home soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My son (now 3 yrs old) was in the NICU for 7 days at birth. he was 6 weeks earily but still 7.6lbs.
    i thought he looked perfectly normal. i never saw him right when he was born, they took him strait to the NICU. his right lung was not opened at all. they had him on all kinds of IV's and tubes coming from everywhere. he even had in IV in his head.. that was the worst part. he never cried till he was 5 days old. didnt eat till he was 6 days old (had a feeding tube).. it was horrible to have to leave the hospital without him, mostly because he was so big for a preemie, i was only 18 yrs old and didnt understand all of what was going on becaus the doctors were scared to tell me the truth. luckily i have a best friend who is a RN and told me what was really going on. Its Hard, It Realy Is, but just keep in mind, the NICU is finishing what your body would have been doing for the remander of your pregnancy. it will all be okay. =)
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 6:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Hello, sweetie.  I know exactly what you are going through, also.  My little girl came 5 weeks early -my first and only pregnancy-and I was totally surprised when she came out and I knew immediately that she was a Down Syndrome child. Gracie was hooked up to all kinds of wires.   She had jaundice and had to wear a mask for phototherapy.  It was failure to thrive for several days. It was not easy to bond with her , being in the hospital for 11 days. Everybody I knew was praying for her.!!!! (She also had a hole in her heart which sealed up after one year.) 

By all means talk to your baby-your baby will hear your voice- and touch and hug your precious little one..  Touching tenderly and talking in a sweet soothing voice encourages!!!!! . I will be praying for your little one, you, and the ones surrounding , loving and helping the both of you.

VeronicaTex

Answer by VeronicaTex at 7:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my son who is now 3 weeks old was in the nicu for the first 4 days of his life and i never got to go see him because i had a c-section and had some issues, it was horrid. i cried everyday and called constantly asking if he was ok. my fiance went with him during the day i got one pic from while he was there and its one i dont care to look at ....hang in there hunny its hard but u can do it. prayin ur little one will be ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009