does your childs friends come over to play EVERYDAY???

there is a little girl that lives next door that comes over time my 4 year old gets home from pre k about 320 she is 4 to but her school gets out a little before my girls well she comes EVERYDAY and stays till like 6 i have said things to her like ok well we have to have dinner now so i am going to watch you go home then she runs back over saying oh my papa said i can eat with yall....so i just let her stay she has been doing this for 3 weeks now i think sometime me and my child need time to ourself how is a nice way to say she can't come over today p.s. if i tell her my child is doing her homework she just sits on the pourch waiting then knocks again like 1 min. later she is a sweet girl though

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't allow it, I wouldn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would tell her parents that she can play with your daughter but she has to at least go home for dinner, unless you invite her once in awhile. Then she can play after the kids eat some too.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have used the excuse. Oh I'm sorry we are about to leave she can't play today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• There are a couple of little kids in my apt complex who like to play with my 4 year old but they can be mean so when they knock, I'll just tell them he can't play today. Talk to her parents, tell them you adore their daughter and don't mind her coming over to play but your daughter isn't able to play all the time. Tell them she sits on your porch, maybe they can start walking her over or calling first before she comes to play.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• How do your DD feel about her, call me crazy, I used to feel so good ,when kids wanted to come to my house,even with us praying around the dinner table, and my set rules, I found out through my kids, that these kids weren't accustomed to doing things like that, coming from a wholesome family who love to cook and share, I would probably just have a plate on the table for her, but, that's me,one more plate for a child would make me feel real happy,as long as this child was obedient,my child loved her company, I would let her come over,you are doing something positive in that child's life,that she needs,good for you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Based on what you've said I highly doubt talking to her parents will help. Sounds like they are happy someone else is watching her for hours at a time. Next time she knocks tell her. I'm sorry we are so busy today (your childs name) won't be able to have company today. If she parks on the porch tell her she needs top go home. You can do this without being mean, but you will have to be firm.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Maybe she doesn't have anyone to play with and she's lonely? My friend's daughter is 6 years old. She has 4 brothers who are 4, 9, 14 and 17 and she's a little on the lonely side. She goes over to the little 6yo boy next door to her's house just about every day and they play for hours outside. No one seems to mind. This is a quiet neighborhood and there aren't many young children. Parents can only occupy a child for so long, children want OTHER CHILDREN to play with. No, Z would go home if the parent said that J couldn't come out to play, she wouldn't wait on the porch. But, Z goes over there so much because she likes playing with J and she likes having someone her age to be around. It has nothing to with the parent being a bad parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sounds too familiar to what I went through, Warning!! With me it all started exactly how you are describing. I allowed our next door neighbor girls to come over to play with my daughter, except it quickly became an every day thing. These all turned into me having to feed them dinner every day and sometimes lunch too. This went on for 4 long years. Parents loved the free babysitting, they never came and thanked me once nor ever called their children to go back home to have dinner at their own home, I guess they already figured I was going to feed them. It got so bad that many times when I needed to go out to take care of errands, I would send the girls home and they would end up coming back saying their parents are not home. Can you believe that, the parents would leave the girls at my house, leave to who knows where without telling me anything. To make a long story short, these neighbor girls no longer play ..........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• ......with my daughter because the girls found another friend to play with. Parents till this day have not acknowledge what has happened. So here was my poor daughter left with no one to play with. I HATE that family!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009