I have heard there are confirmed cases of the swine flu at my child's school

the school won't fess up. Is there a public record in which i can find out myself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What would you do if you found out? Really not bashing just wondering how that info would be helpful? Would you keep your kids home? and for how long? I think they wont tell cause people will freak out.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• In CT, where I live, they are putting a count on the state Department of Public Health website each Friday for the week BEFORE, not the week ending that Friday. I think we just have to expect that "it" is everywhere.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We have 16 confirmed cases of H1N1 at ours. 4 in my grandsons class alone. There is no conspiracy to hide it. They are now scanning all kids for temperature as they arrive for school as a precaution. Handsanitizer. Anyone with a cough gets isolated immediately and sent home. It is going to spread. Aside from hibernating in your house all you can do is take precautions. Use wipes on all carts at stores. Wash your hands. Avoid shaking hands if possible. If you have respiratory symptoms and a fever see your Dr. Common sense goes a long way.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would do the same thing I would do if I found out the 'normal" flu was going around. Find out if my kids are around those children and watch more closely for flu like symptoms. If the flu is already going around I would like to call the doctor and move the flu shot up a week. Same line of defense we use if we find out chicken pox or strep is going around the school
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Your health dept should be able to tell you. I have a co worker with a child that tested positive. I am trying to not be around her b/c I know that she is carrying it, but tonight I am feeling like crap and my DD has been sick for the last few days.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• A school, place of business or health department is NOT going to tell you who has the flu or any other contagious disease, they CAN"T it is against HIPPA laws. It is a break in confidentiality. All the school or health department will tell you is how many cases there are at your school. You do NOT need to know which kids are sick. It is none of anyone's business who the individual people are. Teach your child how to properly wash hands, properly cover sneezes and coughs with the crock of the elbow NOT the hands. To wash hands after coughing or sneezing. Swine Flu, the regular flu, etc IS going to spread and if you or your child are going to get it, there is nothing you can really do to stop it. You can help prevent it by handwashing but not much else. Get the flu shot and that helps prevent flu from spreading too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009