Does having a lizard raise your electric bill up a large amount?

My husband has a 55-gallon tank he is preparing for Long-tailed Lizards, which require a heat lamp and a UVB lamp/bulb. Since they say that these have to be on 10-12 hours a day, I was wondering if any of you who had expeirence with this could tell me if it raises the electric bill a great deal? Thanks!

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 5:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pets

• If you are only housing one 55 gallon tank, you should not notice an increase in your utility bill. At one time we had several vivariums with different breeding colonies and I never noticed an increase in the utility bill. Have fun Herp care and husbandry is a wonderful experience. There are several great reference and group sites I can share if you are interested, PM me and I will forward them along. (One note; it is a good idea to set up your vivarium with lights, substrate, plants and such prior to indroducing your new pet, to insure proper temperatures are being maintained)
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 10:00 AM on Sep. 18, 2009

• We have had fish and reptiles for ten years and have never noticed a big change in our bills when running pumps, filters, under tank heaters or lighting.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• nope i had reptile lites and heating pads on my guys i never notice a increase in r bill but we only used the lights in the fall, winter and begining of spring, r summers here got warm enough that we didnt need them
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No they never did for us. I come from a family of reptile and amphibian owners. We don't have any scaley friends right now. WE are currently raising a fancy rat.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• it shouldn't. I have a pool and ac running all summer and my bills only went up 60 a month with those so I doubt a you'll see a huge increase.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:42 AM on Sep. 17, 2009