10 Month Old Will Not Undo A Fist...

My Daughter Seems To Not Use Her Right Hand Often, And Both Hands Pretty Much Stay In A Fist Enless She Is Crawling. When She Reaches For Something I Show Her, She Swats At It With A Fist Till I Drop It Infront Of Her, Then She Will Pick It Up. Normal?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 5:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc

Here is a milestone chart. I would say at 10 months, constantly clenched fists and unbalanced use of appendages is definitely something you want to discuss with your DD's pediatrician. Babies develop at different rates, so I am not saying that this indicates there is something wrong with her, but I would call the doctor to ease your mind. That is what they are there for.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 6:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If I read it right (very difficult to read with all those unnecessary capital letters) she keeps her fists clenched all the time.

Can you get her to unclench them...smooth her hands out? Granted they will go back into fists, but will she open them at all?

There are many things she should be doing by now, I strongly recommend calling Early Intervention. She already has fine motor skill delays, and you should have already spoken to the doctor about this in case there is some other issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Sounds like something you should discuss with your doctor. At 10 months she should be grapping things with either her whole hand or with the thumb and indexfinger, kinda like a tweezer. If she is not doing etiher of those things, I would talk to your doctor about it.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009