My 13 month old has asthma, but I don't know much about it. Do I have to wash the floors daily, dust and otherwise keep my house immaculate?

I get to my housekeeping as I can working fulltime and have two under 5, some things have gone by the wayside. How clean do I have to keep my home?

Asked by kmarg at 7:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My son as well has asthma.  I am the same way, I do not have time to keep up with the cleaning.  His asthmas is allergy induced.  I just have to keep him from the allergans that trigger it.  If your lil one is the same way, then you would just have to keep her away from what triggers it.  If it is dust or an indoor related allergan then you may have to clean a lil more often.  But as long as you use her medication regulary, it shouldn't have that much of an effect on her. Good luck!!

Answer by redtang912 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Vacuum and dust once a week where he spends a lot of time.
    If you have area rugs, make sure they're washable and clean them weekly in hot water.
    Make sure window coverings in your child's room can be washed. No blinds (alot of dust) or fancy curtains with lots of folds. Make sure to wash all window coverings regularly.
    No upholstered furniture and pillows.
    No knickknacks, picture frames, and houseplants that collect dust.
    Store most of your child's books in a room other than his or her bedroom or playroom.
    Keep stuffed animals to a minimum. Plush toys should be washed frequently in hot water and then dried on your dryer's highest setting.
    Avoid using a humidifier.
    Run a dehumidifier in the basement or other damp areas of your home. But make sure you empty and clean the water pan frequently.
    PM me if you want the article.

Answer by manna1qd at 8:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You know how to post a question yet you dont know how to get real answers on the search engine?

Asthma - Signs and Treatment - Infant Health Article

If you suspect your child has asthma, have him or her seen by a physician. ... coughing-asthma? Anu. 08:04 Jul 13. Re: asthma in my 20 month old ...

Answer by vbruno at 8:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• One sensible thing to do is stop using all toxic chemical cleaners such as lysol and similar sprays and cleaners, any dish detergent or other household article which claims to kill germs and viruses, as they contain tosic pesticides, same with garden products for lawns etc. Only use bleach in well-ventilated areas. These environmental toxins have been blamed for marked increases in the incidence in children of asthma, allergies, ADD and some behavioural problems in the decades since they were widely marketed Babies are particularly susceptible, especially to phenols.

Answer by janet116 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I have asthma and my son had it at birth...the good news is that he grew out of it by age 2. Hopefully your little one will too. My house is not perfect. I sweep with a hepa filter sweeper, change the linens at least 1x a week and I never have time to dust. Uggh!!! We have both survived! I did have the mattress covers on our beds, but it was like sleeping on a piece of saran wrap...they do sell more comfortable ones..but they are pricey. I put his stuffed animals in the freezer over nite every once in a while to kill off those dust mites, Wash our clothes in hot water and be sure to have enough moisture in your house. You learn to make small changes and it all works out. We manage our doesn't have to manage us. good luck!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Pay attention to when it's worst for him. Personally, I've found my own asthma is worst when I am around wood burning fireplaces or lot of grain farm fields in the summer, in addition to animals that I'm allergic to.

Answer by Trinjo at 9:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• We use an air purifier in our living room and another one in his bedroom to help reduce the air of particles and things that trigger attacks.

Answer by slw123 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Both of my boys have asthma. Take notes of what your child ate , the environment he/she was in, or the activities he/she was doing just before an attack. That will help out alot. No, you don't have to keep your home immaculate! LOL So many people think you have to wash everything down and keep your home dust-free, but many don't even think about how hard that is! Try to dump all of your cleaning products. I was AMAZED at the difference it made in my kids. I only use vinegar now. Google 101 uses for vinegar and it will give you tons of recipes for cleaning agents. Not only does vinegar work better than any other cleaning product I've ever used, but there isn't really any odor to it, unless you use an essential oil.

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:36 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You should dust at least once a week and vacuum 1x per person in your family (ex. 2 person household, vacuum 2x/wk). If you have pets, you should vacuum more often. Make sure to wash any stuffed animals and bedding in HOT water at least once a week. The other thing I do is put a vinyl cover on the mattresses and pillows. Just do the best you can... there really isn't anything you can do to eliminate attacks, but there is lots you can do to decrease them.

• My son is fine until I take him around my mothers house she smokes and that is the biggest thing that starts him. He is only 10 months so he can not tell her to put me down and every time he comes back from her house he takes treatments for a week or two. My house does not stay spotless at all times I have a 4 and 3 year old also and you can emagin that I pick up my house each night but I do not vacum every night unless my floor is just nasty. My kids have chips food and everything throught the house I have a total of 6 kids at my house every day ranging from 10 months old to 9 years old and my sons asthma does not act up unless it is from perfum to smoke like things with a sent. Find out what acts it up and try to cut back or stop using or being around what makes it start.

Answer by littleely at 11:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2008