How much should I be teaching my 16 month old?

He knows basic commands, like lay down for a diaper change, say thank you (hasn't mastered please yet), uses a fork and spoon and can put things away when he's in the mood. He WILL NOT get rid of the bottle though, we were doing well for a while but when he got switched into a crib (was sleeping in a playpen) he went back on the bottle, only way we could get him to sleep. He doesn't suck his thumb and he doesn't really have a favorite blankie or stuffie. Anyway, I was wondering how much I should be teaching him? Colors, other words, numbers, shapes? He refuses to watch any educational TV, actaully he doesn't like to watch TV at all! Is that good or bad?

Richys_Girl

Asked by Richys_Girl at 6:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's good that he dosn't want to watch tv, and it's never to early to start teaching your kids stuff as long as you are willing and have the patience I think that is a great idea
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Thanks :)
    Richys_Girl

Answer by Richys_Girl at 6:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I say go for it. He might not comprehend it right away, but it can't hurt him any. I have a 13 month old and I will name colors and shapes. I read to him every night and he knows a lot of baby sign language.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It's fine that he doesn't want to watch TV. Take the bottle away, it shouldn't have been given back to him.

Let him be a kid for crying out loud! Why do people think a toddler has to be having lessons?

Play with him. Let him be a kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am a teacher. I think reading nightly is so beneficial even if they don't sit still and you are just in the room reading and pointing to key things on the pages. Definitely take the bottle away...sippy cup only, gradually take it away....start with day time and then gradually wean it away at night. My daughter is two and she loves puzzles,....numbers, colors, and letters.
    ssteinbergher

Answer by ssteinbergher at 7:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I hope that the bedtime bottle only has water in it. After you brush his teeth at night, all he should have is water. Babies don't look cute with rotten teeth

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i wish my son wouldn't watch tv. lol. he hardly ever watched it until around 20 months though. maybe once per week. then he started begging to watch it everyday and we decided to let him watch a little every day now :( so i think that's a good thing.

just try to be consistent. toddlers can be difficult
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• oh i missed the main point of the question, sorry! i think just playing with him is teaching him. sing songs with him, talk about colors while he's scribbling with his crayons, draw circles, sing abc's, just have fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• when I got rid of my son's bottle, I startted with not giving it to him at naps then bedtime. but it took 2 weeks for him to stop crying for it and up to an hour of crying before passing out - it sucks! the longer you wait, the harder it is.. my son was off at 16 months. I started teaching colors with cars - he loves cars so I just talk - talk all the time, if I had him a car, I say the color, eventually he would get what the color was when I point out other things too - i say colors or how many for number training. I read 4-5 books at bedtime and naptime. We point out things on the pages he can recognize and he sometimes tries to repeat it - the please and thank you - make sure you always say it too - even if you think he's not listening - before you give it to him, make him say please or attempt it - I give him 3 trys -he should have to say it for EVERYthing but we work on this daily. He's 22 months old and I started at 7mos
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Yeah we would tell him to say thank you when he walked away with something/took something and would say thank you to him if he gave us something. He just started doing it one day, which was nice. It's just trying to get him to say thank you to other people besides his father and I. And for the bottle we went ahead and changed from an 8 or 10 ounce last night to a 4 ounce bottle and during his nap I put him down once with a sippy and then the other time he went down for a nap I didn't put him down with anything. So tonight a sippy.
    Richys_Girl

Answer by Richys_Girl at 1:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2009