HE WILL NEVER BE POTTY TRAINED!!

ughhh im so frustrated! i try to get my son (2 1/2 yrs) to WANT to go on the big potty but he won't do it. he's done it before and i thought i was getting somewhere but now he'll sit on the toilet and do nothing. then pee in his pull-up right after. and now i have to hear it from his dad that im not trying to potty train him and that he needs to be trained before pre-school and what not. just earlier today my son had a dry diaper so i said "lets go to the toilet!" and he said he didn't need to, and threw a tantrum when i tried to take him anyway. then peed in his pull-up. i don't know what to do anymore! bribing him with prizes doesn't work. and neither does regular underwear. hellllpppppp!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he is just not ready yet, I would wait just a little bit longer, I potty trained my son when he turned 3 cuz he just wasn't ready anytime before then
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Have you tried to make it into a game? and How about having the dad show him.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 6:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• He doesn't sound like he's quite there yet. Maybe during the day, forgo the pullups altogether and deal with the accidents, use undies only and only use diapers/pullups at night. Pull ups are too much like diapers and they know that they can "go" in them anytime they want and still not be a big deal, ya know? With undies, it's a huge deal and a day or two of feeling messy will start to make him change him mind about using the potty. And don't let your frustration get to you. He can sense it too and he will react to you being agitated.
    If he's not ready, he's not. Wait a week and then give it another go. I can't tell you how many times we stopped and started. I promise, He'll be potty trained... it takes time.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It kind of has to be his choice. If you take the choice away, he will 'throw a tantrum' and that is counter-productive. Let him lead. Everything can't always be on the parents' schedule. Especially at this age when they are trying to get some control over their life.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well I hear of people just not putting a pull up or underwear on them period. I know many people that has done that.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We started training my DD at 14 months (I hear girls are easier than boys, so keep that in mind), and now at 15 months she is totally day time trained. With her it was something she really enjoyed, she LOVES playing with the toilet paper and putting her seat on the toilet, and we got her a special box to hold her big girl underwear in, etc. So she enjoys going, she gets to pick up her seat and when she is done going she gets to get her own toilet paper, when she is done she gets to flush and then get her big girl underwear (if she needs them). It isn't a game, but it is rewarding for her because she likes doing all of it. If you can find something in it that he DOES enjoy, then that is something you can use to encourage it. But they are all right, if he isn't ready, it doesn't matter how hard YOU try!

GOOD LUCK!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am currently potty training my 2 year old...she loves Dora and the Backyardigans. I use a potty chart and she gets one sticker for peeing and two stickers for pooping, or three for doing both. She loves to go the potty to get a sticker......we are now gradually fazing them out and she now will potty on her own without having to ask 15 million times.....do you have to potty?
    ssteinbergher

Answer by ssteinbergher at 7:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• He just may not be ready! My daughter was tying her shoes and reading before she was completely potty trained.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Jus give him time. My oldest son will be 4 next month and isn't completely potty trained. I took him to the dr. today and she said that it just depends on him. If he isn't ready he just isn't ready. Keep on trying and don't try to stress out. One suggestion she gave me was find something that he loves and tell him if he potties so many times without having an accident then you get that toy, food, etc whatever it is that he loves.
    mommyof2dec3

Answer by mommyof2dec3 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If you have nieces or nephews that live nearby, invite them over. My boys had trouble using the toilet and no trouble using the potty chair. They watch as older children would go in and out of the bathroom. Then, they watched as those children used the toilet. Pretty soon, they started to use the toilet because they wanted to be a big kid.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009