to buy or not to buy?

my fiance and I only have one car, we share, but besides that the car he has is an extremply low sports car, manual transmission, it has 4 passenger seats but its a coupe so only 2 doors.

I want more of a family, sedan, type of car. Nothing expensive or over the top, just a regular 4-door vehicle...I was looking at the 2010 Honda's because they seem pretty spacious and very fuel efficient, so great plus.

But here's the dilemna we will be putting down a down payment of anywhere from 15k to 20k
my fiance wants a more expensive car or SUV because he says that the down payment is big enough that we wont have a huge bill every month

I say why not put the 15-20k down on a cheaper car and be done paying it off in a few months?

who do u agree with? be honest its okay if its him

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It would depend on how many kids I have and plan on adding to the mix honestly.

I drive a minivan because I have 3 kids and a sedan wouldnt fit the carseats well. Plus, my boys need space otherwise they beat up on each other LOL.

So, if I had one or two kids but planned more Id probably do a bigger vehicle. What would be the use in buying a smaller one only to end up having to buy a bigger one within 5 yrs or less...kwim?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If you have 15k or 20k why not buy a certified used car and pay for it outright? I would in a heartbeat. I mean it. I really wish I had that kind of money period, much less as a downpayment.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• With that much money you can buy a used SUV like jenree33 said and both be happy.

I love my 2007 Honda SUV.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 6:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• like the first person said it all depends on how many kids you want, and if you have more then one child they will need room, but if I had that much money for a down payment would defenetley buy a nice suv they are so much better then a car but thats just my opinion
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I'm with you, put the money down on something that is a bit cheaper, you don't have to sacrifice the quality, but can still do it without having an over the top car payment every month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Also, look into what insurance would cost for the different vehicles you're looking at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't know. I told my boyfriend we could have just got a minivan which would have been cheaper than the Tahoe we bought. But....he's a guy and LOVED the truck, lol. We just needed something that seated at least 7. The 4dr car we have only seats 6. With 5 kids and us 2, we couldn't go anywhere without 2 cars. He has a Mustang....again a man car, lol. I just think the minivan would have been cheaper.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 7:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Men. Why can't they ever have any common sense? A car is a car, and it won't last longer than a more expensive car. And just for his information, Hondas are some of the best cars out there! They last forever as long as they are taken care of. And they usually run around 25 to 30K. Not bad.
    Also more expensive cars, like BMW and such, are super expensive when they break down. Saturns are not a good choice either. Go with Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.
    Personally I like sports cars, but they are not for everyone!
    Hope this helps!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 7:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It depends on your family really....my fiance and I both had a car when I was pregnant but then his died (it was old) and then 3 months later mine died (it was a piece of crap) and I decided I was buying a new car because I was 8 months pregnant, stuck in the middle of the road with a car that wouldnt start!!

I bought a 2007 Ford Focus...I didn't put any money down and my payments are only 250 a month. I think it depends on what you want to do--SUV's dont get very good gas mileage and I only have to fill up once every 2 weeks!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I feel like if you have 15-20k in cash for a down payment it would be smarter to compromise and buy a certified used SUV or crossover outright. Why make a payment every month when you truly dont need to? Use what you would have paid every month whether it have been $100 or $500 and put it in a college fund or something for the new baby. JMO
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 7:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009