How can I get my 11 month old son to sleep threw the entire night?

I've tried the feeding him the whole baby food 3 times a day but that doesnt work, given him a bath and use the nighttime lotion, and keeping him up all day but nope. He would be up at least twice at night and all the other babies I know is age are sleep all night...

HaydenMooMoo

Asked by HaydenMooMoo at 6:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put him on his stomach if you are not already.make sure he is warm enough.dont go in to comfort him when he wakes up unless he has been sleeping at least 5 hours thats what i used to do and she learned that night time is for sleeping and she doesnt need my help to get back to sleep...unless they are sick or something they have to learn and you have to teach them.good luck!it will happen eventually no matter how you handle it.
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 6:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It could be a number of different things. My oldest was hungry so i feed her stuffed full right before bed, my youngest didnt sleep for nothing for a while then was scarring me cuz she sleept for 12 hours a night. Make sure there is either no noise or a little consistant noise, it could be a nightlight is too bright or if he wets his diaper he may not like it and want to be dry so cut down liquids a few hours before bed. See if there is a trigger making him wake up. - it could always be the neighbor he hears outside his room and not yours.

But i feel for ya - good luck.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It's a developmental milestone, and he'll get there when HE is ready. It cannot be rushed any more than walking can.

BUT...check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will help you get some routines going.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Are you only feeding him baby food?? At 11 months old he needs to be eating a lot more than just baby food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i started adding just a small amount of baby cereal, the oatmeal kind, to my daughters bottle at 3 months and she started sleeping through the night that very night. Some moms dont like to do that cause they think it is too early, but if your baby can handle it, then thats what i recommend. I also did it with my oldest, her stomach didnt handle the oatmeal so i tried rice and she liked that.
    shellyr1

Answer by shellyr1 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Give him real food and wait until he's actually ready to sleep through.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• He is just not ready! My daughter was about 14 months old when she slept through the night on a regular basis. If we didn't cosleep, I think I would have died from sleep deprivation; it was so easy to nurse and go back to sleep.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I know some moms don't agree with this, but here goes...my daughter is almost 8 months, and until recently, she was waking up to breastfeed for not even 5 minutes, 2-3 times a night. I was so tired of it. It was not that she was hungry, because she didn't really eat much. So I decided to stop breastfeeding her at night. I give her some before bedtime, and then if she wakes up at night, I offer her water from a cup, and simply put her back in her crib. The first couple of nights she was upset for maybe 3 min. and then went right to sleep. Now, 2 weeks later, she is sleeping from 7 pm-6 am. I make sure she is well fed before bed. she eats a big bowl of oatmeal every night, has a bath, and then goes to bed. It works great for us. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009