This is my first pregnancy and I'm really scared. I'm at the same GYN that my sister used for my niece but she didn't like how he tossed the baby on her stomach after birth. I'm horrified that he may be my doctor and I have my first full appointment on the 29th of September. Help me please!!! I'm in brooklyn NY. Advice on my fear of pregnancy, doctors and a new place to go will be greatly appreciated. (I have HIP as my insurance.)

lavendersky

Asked by lavendersky at 6:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Contact HIP about what doctors accept it. Since you already know this doctor did something you would not be comfortable of, I'd recommend you trying to find a different one. Lots of docs in Brooklyn. If you do some research, you may find the perfect doc for you. :) It's normal to be nervous in any pregnancy, but try to relax so you don't become too stressed out. Being too stressed out is going to raise your blood pressure and it may have other negative physical; effects on you. Just take care of yourself, and see what docs are available :) Good luck :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:40 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Thank You very much for the advice. My husband and I have tried so hard to conceive and I fear losing my baby and my mind. It helped a lot. Be blessed.
    lavendersky

Answer by lavendersky at 6:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Along with what Pp says, remember that babies are more resilient than we give them credit for. BUT, if you are hesitant about the doctor, you really need to find one that agrees with your feelings and plans.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You can also ask the doctor not to put the baby on your belly when he is born. You can request that he be cleaned up first. Also, the babies are slippery, bloody and wet when they come out. It might not of been intentional, but just a matter of getting the slippery bundle to mommy as quickly as possible!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I recommend finding a midwife who is probably more likely to listen to your preferences and help you have a gentle birth experience. There are gentle OBs, but might be more effort to get things *your way.*
    And there are a lot of other amazing benefits with using a midwife. ;-)

Having a conversation prenatally with your care provider can help. So can having a birth plan. And a birth doula. And your husband can advocate your preferences.
    It doesn't always mean you'll get your way, but can help. (*This is why I suggest starting with a midwife~ it will likely give you a better starting off point.)

This is YOUR birth. You are in charge of your decision-making. Be sure to let those yo hire (OB or whomever) know they work for you~ they are your consultants.
    Stay strong and ENJOY you pregnancy & birth. And baby! :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009