is this normal?

my son came home from school the other day and told me and his daddy that there is a girl in his class that he holds hands with on the playground. I think its cute but my husband keeps telling him hes too young for this and he doesnt need to do this. I know that my daughter (to this day) isnt big on touching anyone. she just doesnt do it and she doesnt like to be touched so when he told me this i really wasnt sure what my response should be (my son and this girl are in kindergarten) and i saw them a couple of days later together in line to leave the building and i still think its sweet, but i am wondering now after listening to my husband say its not normal, if hes right or not! so is this normal and wat should my reaction be?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 6:31 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in

• When I was in kidergarten that was not allowed by the school. You should discuss it with his teacher and see what the teacher has to say. You don't want your son getting in trouble for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• if it was against the rules they would have already said something to me about it the teacher and i are on first name basis and i speak with her nearly every day about my sons behavior and performance so i am sure if it was against the rules she would have said something by now
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If it isn't against the rules holding hands is like nothing, you hold his hand when he walks across the street, right? So I don't think that at 5 he thinks of it as something "bad" like your DH is. So I'm with you on this one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I reckon there is a good chance these kids think that this is just something friends do. I don't see the big deal.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• these kids really don't think like growups at that age or in that grade, i am sure he just wants to make the girl happy cause he likes her, nothing bad about it and holding hands we did that in school so none of the kids got lost, pe playing ring around the rosey, walking from 1 side of the street to the otherside so no accident would happen with cars, recess time they would call the name out and hgave the child hold hands to make sure the had the right number.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't think it is a big deal. My dd kissed a boy on the cheek at daycare and she is 4. She is convinced that she is going to marry him. It is so sweet. They get all shy when around each other. It's not like they are sneaking of to a dark corner for a quickie. A 4 year old, unless exposed to way too much sex, has no idea what a sexual relationship is.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 10:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I discourage boy/girl friend relationships in children. Friendship is OK, but not a friendship with touching of any kind. Young children are not mature enough and our society is so over sexualized, that young kids are experimenting at earlier ages.

I have a 12 year old and this summer he met a 12 year old girl at vbs and they wanted to meet and play after vbs. i talked to the girs mom, and we agreed that boy/girl friend relationships are too young at even 12.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think its cute....and for the person who said that 12 is too young for boy/girl relationships I think thats a bit sillie.....I had my first serious long term relationship at 14 and I definetly had guy friends before that actually did my whole life I didnt like hanging with other girls I just connected better with guys....also I find the more controlling the more children do behind there parents back.....
    Lillette

Answer by Lillette at 11:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i agree with Lillette, the more controlling the parent the more kids will do. that maybe why your daughter doesn't like to be touched, she's been told it's wrong.
    mamacita2005

Answer by mamacita2005 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• mamacita-->my daughter doesnt like to be touched cause she was molested when she was five. I have never told my children it was wrong to touch but htey know the difference between safe touching and appropriate or inappropriate touching.

elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009