anyone ever do your own base molding in your home?is it complicated?

i'm afraid it requires some fancy saw or something.thanks for any advice!

littledozie

Asked by littledozie at 6:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It's easy. Go to the Lowe's or Home Depot to the lumber department and ask the help there for the sawbox that makes the angles. It should come with instructions on how to put in the molding depending on if you're making an inside corner or outside corner.

The sawbox we have is plastic and super cheap.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 6:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh, the sawbox is meant to be use with a plain old handsaw. No electricity required.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 6:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Hmmmmm, not as easy as the above post came across.

You need a miter saw. They can be expensive....and to be able to cut corners good takes some practice, or you will end up with gigantic gaps....

My dh struggles with it and he is fair at renovation things.....my dad is a pro...but he has done it for years.

I might contact someone who has cut angles before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I took a class at Home Depot last year on how to use power tools and using a miter saw to cut molding (angles) was part of the lesson. Having said that, I haven't actually done it in my own home......
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• thanks everyone!
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 10:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• it's not hard, if you can cut a 45% angle. We replaced all the molding in our house and it looked perfect. We also replaced the carpet, and after the first room (learning experience) the other rooms look great too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2009