Sippy cups and childrens teeth

So I was just reading some stuff on a childrens dental site and it said how bad it is for toddlers teeth to use the sippy cups with the spill proof lids. Its just like a baby bottle because they have to suck and not just sip so it causes dental decay like a bottle would. Does this prevent anyone from using these sippy cups??

ashleyuc07

Asked by ashleyuc07 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope, I have 5 kids, some of whom are grown and some of whom are on sippy's. They all have great teeth. We brush and the older ones floss. No problems here.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:23 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• no, if my son's cup weren't spill proof then I would have milk, juice or water all over the place, it's not like he goes to bed with it and besides I brush there teeth

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I didn't use them for very long, but that was because DS was lazy and didn't like to suck very hard.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Nope. Mine only used them for 6 months. At a year, we switched to straw cups.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• man mine used a bottle until 11/2 and then a sippy cup and now she is 2 and i dont want to give it up but im worried about her teeth!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We only put water in the sippy, and our dentist was fine with that.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My son's cup doesn't require sucking. It's got a lid and a mouthpiece that basically just slow down the flow of liquid that comes out. If he knocks it over it does still drip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009