Ok, here is what happened in our preschool today...tell me what you think, who is at fault?

One of our 4 year old boys has an allergy to peanuts and pbutter. It is listed just like this on his file....no elaborations.

In his classroom today the snack was to be made by the students as part of their lesson....and it contained pbutter.....the teacher realized this student couldnt EAT pbutter...so she only allowed him to have the apples and graham cracker plain.

A few minutes later he started to swell, found out after the incident that he cannot even be in the same room with pbutter......she called the mom immediately and he was taken to the hospital and put on an iv.....he is ok....but the mother is MAD MAD MAD at the teacher

She told the director that the school will be held responsible for his medical bills......

What do you think....who is at fault....the teacher, or the parent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in

• hmm not sure not everyone knows they cant be in the same room either ... i didnt know that til i seen it on the news 2 months ago! ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well the information wasn't listed that he couldn't even be in same room as peanut butter so I'd say it's noones fault really, just one of those "crap happens" kind of things. The teacher isn't a mind reader and didn't know he was allergic to peanut butter, and the mom forgot to mention how extreme his reaction is.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think it is the parents responsibility to make sure the teacher knows it is a life or death situation and send the appropriate items to school to deal with it. I doubt any teacher would forget that bit of info if a parent let them know about it. So I do not fault the school, the parent should have been overseeing the situation in this case.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I mean't "didn't know how allergic he was". I can't type today, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• neither, she substituted, who knew you couldn't be in the same room...maybe the parent should had elaborated to what degree he is allergic. He could had also been given PB by one of the kids.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think it's parents responibility to write everything in detail expecially when it envolves your childs life, not everyone knows that they can't be in the same room
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:57 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If my son were that allergic and it was life threatening, you can be sure I would have spelled it out more than that little line.

I think mom is mad at herself for not being more careful to impress the extent of his allergy. But, with peanuts being so deadly, the teacher should have called the mom and told her about the lunch and asked for more clarification.

If I were on a jury about this, I would have each side pay half of the medical bills.

I'm sorry the little guy is suffering. My son is two and a half and hasn't had any peanuts yet.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Not the parents that's for sure. Everyone, especially teachers, knows that some peanut allergies are like that. I think in this case the teacher should be held responsible, not the school.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh, and did the teacher really watch him like a hawk to make sure he never touched the peanut butter? Probably not. Still her fault.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• 100% the teacher! They are not aloud to even have peanut butter in the same class with this child! The hospital bill should be paid in full!! It could also be a good law suite if they refuse!!
    alyjax03

Answer by alyjax03 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009