How can I get my 3 year old to eat?

This has been going on for a while now, she will eat breakfast (eggs or cereal) but she won't eat lunch or dinner. Well, she will if it's hot dogs, french fries, green beans, or mac n cheese. That's it! She used to also eat chicken nuggets. Now she won't eat anything. She will take one bite and say I'm done!

Babyemnem

Asked by Babyemnem at 6:50 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My mom said my brother didn't hardly eat anything for a long time and didn't grow for a whole year.

He's a 5' 8" tall very healthy 38 year old man today.

I really think it's just a phase. Give her Pediasure or a half a Flintstone vitamin to help with nutrition.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 6:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh my god my 3yr old son won't eat much neither i just made him a doctor appointment. He eats ckn nuggets and fruit and sometimes milk, and alot of juice he also eats hot dogs. He won't eat eggs or meat or beans!!! it sucks what should i do now...
    Celibitch

Answer by Celibitch at 6:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yes, I agree with last poster too. Give her Vitamins and Pediasure to drink. Don't give her made for order dinner, put things you and your DH are going to eat in her plate. Let her pick whatever she wants to eat if she still only took a couple bites, just let her be. After that, don't give her other things to eat if she ask. Let her go hungry...for a week. She will eat whatever you have.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 7:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• The air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating. Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Kids love to dip! Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont:

Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; ifyou don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in tis century will develop type 2 diabetes.

• op I am having the same problem with my 3 year old... Let me know what you come up with!
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Thank you all for your suggestions! I will let you know how it goes. I figured out she has a UTI and have to take her to the dr.'s tomorrow.
    Babyemnem

Answer by Babyemnem at 9:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009