What was your DH like when he came back from war?

DH is due back soon after a 15 mo deployment. I am VERY VERY excited to finally have him home!!! My concern is... he is TBI and PTSD. I understand he is going to have a hard time adjusting and learning how to live without being shot at or blown up but what should I expect? What was your DH like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• My hubby has been deployed twice... He had nightmares afterwards and a hard time sleeping (he even got prescribed some sleeping pills). Also when he was driving he always looked in every direction kind of like he's looking if we are getting followed by somebody. But he adjusted really good besides that. After they came back they had classes and therapy sessions with a therapist.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It is different for everyone honestly. My Dh has been deployed twice and is on the 3rd. Honestly, I haven't seen much of a change in him in either of the two previous deployments. Notbecause he "hasn't seen anything", he has. It just hasn't effected him the way that it has many others. It really just depends upon the person and how they handle things, also how they adapt or readjust to their environment.
    My advice would just be to try to be patient with him if he has trouble adjusting. Be there for him when/if he needs someone to talk to and don't be offended if he doesn't want to talk about it. Try to take a step back if there are tiffs over minor things. Try to keep in mind that he isn't use to the routine in the house any longer and he is coming home to something that has changed and people that have grown and changed while he wasn't there to watch it. It may be difficult on everyone, but it will be ok. Try to be patient
    SusanD

Answer by SusanD at 7:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009