SAHMs do you...

get up before you kids to have time for yourself, do housework or whatever or do you get up when your kids get up? I am trying to figure out a routine for myself and when to do the housework and I am thinking that getting up earlier is the answer. I am a new sahm and just added another baby into the mix so I am trying to find what works best. What do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• it all depends how my night went, I don't like routine, I usually clean the house when my baby is sleeping.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I get up when baby does, I change her diaper and make a bottle before I do anything, beside use the bathroom myself. I do house work while she's in Pack N Play or napping. Don't know how old your baby is but you can put them in the swing or bouncer in the same room while your cleaning.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• yes. i get up an hour before, shower...make my SO's breakfast...straigten my hair, style it, and do my make up and get dressed.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 7:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Well the girls get up at 5:30 & I am usually up at 5:00. That gives me enough time to take a shower & get dressed & talk with my hubby for about 15 minutes. It doesn't give me time to do housework since the twins (6 yrs) go to school, I stay home with just my 9 month old so she doesnt make that much of a mess. So I have all day to clean.
    QueenOfNagsHead

Answer by QueenOfNagsHead at 7:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OP here -
    That is normally what I do with the baby but I also have a 20 month old and 34 month old. So when the weather is nice we outside a lot and keep busy (inbetween nursing the baby who is a month old). When their nap time comes I also just want to take a break. But some days I feel bad because I have spent so much time with them I need to get caught up on the housework so they have a day stuck inside and such. So I was thinking maybe if I got up at 6 or so when DH does and did housework then until they wake up (around 9) that would work out better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• as for housework .... after im dressed i get started.
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 7:14 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I only have one two and a half year old, so it might be different if I had more kids or older ones.

I wake around 6:30 to have a cup of coffee and read a bit before DS is up-around 7:15.
    I go into his room and change his diaper, give him some hugs and water and tell him to play while I take a shower. (I close his door. He has a child proof door knob cover on.)
    After showering, I get him ready for the day and go make him breakfast.
    He eats while I unload the dishwasher from the night before.
    After breakfast, I let him watch a DVD while I make the bed and do a bit of cleaning up.
    All the other cleaning gets done a little at a time spread out over the week.

When he is old enough the child proof door knob cover won't keep him safe in his room, I will have to take my shower before he wakes up...that's the only schedule difference I can see coming. So I will probably get up 15 minutes earlier or so.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 7:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I try my hardest to get up before my kid...even if its just enough time to have a cup of coffee...and it never works! I always end up hitting snooze until the kids get up anyway. Thats because I stay up till midnight or later doing what I didnt get done during the day, or just hanging with dh!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I am up first to get my daughter up and off to school by 745am! I clean when I have a chance throughout the day!! I do little chores so I can take care of the other ones as well! I pretty much am cleaning all day, but it is not overwhelming for me because I do it in sections!! I have my 1/2 hr ME time after the kids go to bed! Reading, movie, whatever!! LOL
    alyjax03

Answer by alyjax03 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i get up when the kids get up and well i mean i wake the 4 year old up for school and get her to school then i come home and me and the newborn sleep til about 9am then we get up and get dressed, and through out the day i slowly get household things done
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009