Has anyone ever "repaired" an abusive relationship?

If you had an SO who used to hit, cheat on, or otherwise abuse you, were you able to make it stop and stay in the relationship?
Have you tried and had to leave anyway?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• My SO and me would have knocked down fights it was bad and he would always say it was my fault bc i am bipolar and i would hit him and finally i left well he apoligied and we worked things out and he got more info on bipolar people and how they react to situations so he put in his effort and i gave him another chance now everything is much better and we have been together for 3 years.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 7:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If you are trying to repair and abusive relationship you might consider reading the book "The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate" It's a great book and there are a few examples in there of couples who were in abusive relationships that were changed by using the techniques described in the book. I'd also make sure you are both in counseling. AND it will only be repaired if BOTH OF YOU want to repair it.
    Good luck to you! and congrats on trying to fix things instead of just running away.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I was in an abusive relationship for 2 years....physically abusive. I ran out, got an order of protection and never talked to him. Recently (4 years later) he has been messaging me on AIM and I've been talking to him and he seems SO different....I'm still putting off seeing him in person again because there's always that lingering what if.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009