when did it appear for u?

i am pregnant for the first time and was just wondering about when stretch marks appear during the pregnancy? do they appear throughout the pregnancy?....during the final weeks or do they appear only after the birth of the baby?
what causes the stretch marks....or increases the number of stretch marks.....what can u do to prevent them.....and do they disappear after the birth or stay forever.............
please add a response.....don't just read and ignore...thx in advance

fay101

Asked by fay101 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's different for everyone. They can come at any time and will stay forever. They will fade some but not go away. With my son I used cocoa butter and Stretch mark lotion like 5 time a day and still got tons. Mine didn't start to show up til a weeks before he was born then bam....all over! My doctor said it doesn't hurt to try the lotions but 95% of it is gentetics. Either you have elastic skin or you don't. Some women get lucky and never get a single one. Good luck. But don't worry, bo matter how bad your stretch marks get it will be well worth it! Congrats on your 1st baby!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get a single stretchmark, and I didn't do anything special at all, just used my regular everyday lotion. It would have been ok if I got them though ... like jenae_gist said above ... well worth it!
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 7:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I started getting them around 17 weeks, when I started to actually show. they've gotten worse as my belly has gotten bigger. I've read that some women don't get them at all though. as for if they ever go away? I don't think so, they'll fade to the color of your skin but no amount or cocoa butter or special creams will help get rid of them completely..
    dakotaleann

Answer by dakotaleann at 8:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i didn't get any until about 40 weeks. darn it! then i got a lot! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I thought I wasnt going to get any cause I was like 39 wks and didnt have any. Then all the sudden they sprouted up EVERYWHERE! Its caused by your skin stretching so rapidly. Like someone else said, its genetic. I put cocoa butter stretch mark formula on 2-3x a day from the moment I got pregnant and my belly looks like a road map! Lol. As far as them going away, my DD is 16 months old and mine are still horrible. They may lighten up, but they will never fully go away. That is *if* you get them. Some dont. If your mom has them you prob. Will too.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i got mine when i started showing at like 5 or 6 months and they just got worse from there.. i used cocoa butter religioulsly and it didnt help. i heard it was genetic so you can not really prevent them....
    kelsbug05

Answer by kelsbug05 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009