Can I give to my baby (11 weeks) chamomile? Can I put sugar on the tea? He cries so much every evening...I think it's colic.

rosa78

Asked by rosa78 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they make colic care gripe water, also they sell teething tablets that melt in the mouth that have chamomile in them to sooth them, but they also make ones meant for colicky babies those are often found at babies r us or health food stores but no to the sugar or the tea
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 7:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i don't think the cammomile tea would hurt him, but the gripe water does help. my older son loves cammomile tea when he is sick ever since he was a baby, but my younger son hates it so go figure lol. but my younger one had colic and was so miserable and the gripe water really helped him. it also helps with hiccups too :)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Um.....hello! Infants that age aren't supposed to have anything other than breastmilk or formula unless otherwise directed by a DOCTOR!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I gave my colicky baby an ounce of weak chamomile tea a day; without any sweetener.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't think it would hurt, just make sure you don't fill his belly with it, so he won't have room for his breatmilk/formula. Like rkoloms said, an ounze a day should be okay. I wouldn't put sugar in it though.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:23 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't use any sugar. But I think an ounce of tea would be fine (dont' forget to cool it)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

ditto. I used fennel too. Look into food allergies, once I eliminated a few foods my DD was no longer colicky or reflux-y.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:06 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• chamomille tea is fine no added sugar though.. and if you get fennel sead and use a coffee filter and put in boiling water and it will turn yellow ish and mix 2 oz fennel sead with 2 oz chamomile tea helps with gas too and its teh same thing as gripe water but cheaper and with out the ginger..
    kcurci87

Answer by kcurci87 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• if you go to the health food store you can get something made by nature's sunshine called catnip and finnel. you can use a dropper off the gas drop bottle or something like that. just give the baby a few drops but be careful b/c it is brown and stains. i have used this before and my sil used it a bunch for her daughter when she was a newborn. on the bottle it says to mix it with water but if you do that you will use it a lot faster and it isnt cheap. there is no need to do it like that. hopefully this will help.
    DarciMykell

Answer by DarciMykell at 11:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2009