Do streetlights go out when you pass beneath them?

SLIders & the Streetlight Phenomenon:

Very often, SLIders report that they tend to have an odd effect on other electronic devices other than street lights:

•Appliances such as lamps and TVs go on and off without being touched.
•Lightbulbs constantly blow when the SLIder tries to turn them off or on.
•Volume levels change on TVs, radios, and CD players.
•Watches stop working.
•Children's electronic toys start by themselves when the SLIder is present.
•Credit cards and other magnetically encoded cards are damaged or erased when in their possession.

How would explain this phenomenon?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh yeah, this happens to me alot with watches and lightbulbs. If I am remembering correctly it has something to do with the levels of trace metals in the blood such as iron, cobalt, copper, etc. Some of the metals like iron have magnetic properties about them. Metals such as copper are great electric conductors. If you have a higher level of the trace metal in your blood the chances are you'll have one of the above affects on electric and magnetic items.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• no idea, but everytime i hold a watch it stops working lol
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No idea how to explain it but its kinda cool.
    Never had it happen to me or anyone I know personally but have heard the stories on tv shows.

Oh wait...we did have one toy of my oldest childs that would go off on its own and sounded like the devil talking LOL. Totally weird and I couldnt wait to toss it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Not all the time but seems to come and go. I don't know if that counts or not. One night when I was trying to read I played musical chairs for awhile. Every lamp I sat near flickered excesively. I finally gave up and watched TV instead. Bulbs often blow when I turn them on. That comes and goes also.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:28 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I thought only Dumbledore had that flicker thing that turned off street lamps so he could appear undetected?
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It seems I heard something abut this years ago. I don't remember anything about it. Anyone hear about it? Theories or just odd coincidences?
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• OK what is a SLIders?  Some of those freaky things have happened to me.  I can't wear a wristwatch.  I can't work touch light switches.  My debit card is tempermental. Computers really hate me.  Lights are always flickering and we have had weird power surges.  The volume control does turn up on it's own.  All these things started right after my first daughter was born and have happened in two houses in two countries.  I personally think that the pregnancy screwed up my electromagnetic field.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Oh yeah and I forgot to add that streetlights do flicker a lot.  These things happen to me ALL THE TIME!  It's f*cking annoying!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:51 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Usually there needs to be a connection with the item in order for the electric charge to pass through. With street lamps it is due to wiring under the sidewalk along the path you are on.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I like your explanation Kristi.  Although there was time I was severly anemic and these things still happened. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009