How do I help boost my child's immune system?

We are taking a trip in a little over two weeks and since we will be going through two really large airports, I want to make sure we take as many preventative measures as possible to reduce the cahnce of us picking something up.

Any idea how I help boost my DS immune system?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Travel

• Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Adequate sleep; lots of water, and echineacea will all help build the immune system.
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?
    According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.
    Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Vitamin D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Vitamin d and extra c.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:21 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• lot of vegetables, drink orange juice,milk
    212lakay

Answer by 212lakay at 12:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Garlic helps promote goo intestinal bacteria in a big way. You can get it in odourless capsules. Also green tea is a great antioxidant. Both of these are well documented and backed up by research. Agree with ' rkoloms' too about what weakens the immune system and that SLEEP is a huge benefit to us all in many many ways, including fighting disease. Get your child outside as much as you can too if it's still warm and sunny, so she can build up her vitamin D.
    Enjoy your break!
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 7:21 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• echinacea and zinc, extra sleep. you can get a powdered supplement called emergen C that you just add to water and is raspberry flavored. we use that through the school year.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:39 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Dark leafy veggies (spinach!) vitamin d, start them on a multi vitamin.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:53 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Odwalla has a juice in the organic section that says immune booster, it's strawberry banana and tastes great. I use this for my son since he goes to day care.It's loaded with Vitamin C. Also, make sure your kids are taking their daily vitamins. These help alot.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 8:12 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Every one is correct so far! Let me tell you what i give my daughter & i, she has not been sick in 5 years, and i have not been sick in about 10. Also, good diet is very important. Up their fruits & veggies, & make some homeade raw garlic butter & put in on bread or toast. My daughter loves garlic butter, so this is a good trick of getting some raw garlic in their system. Cooked garlic does not do it, neither do the garlic pills. It must be raw. You can also do salsa, or guacamole. My daughter will eat those too. Here's what we take;

Probiotics (in pill form, we use jarrodophilus. I open the capsul & sprinkle it on her food. She never knows it's there because it's completely tasteless)

vitamin D
    DAILY vitamin c, at least 1000 mg
    and of course a daily multi vitamin.

and insanely washing hands!

Echinacea can work too, but you have to keep taking it every day to reap it's benefits.

Good luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• probiotic yogurt like bio-k+ for kids!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 8:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2009