14 year old daughter wants a "color" in her hair . . . HELP!

My daughter has asked for a

IrishLegal

Asked by IrishLegal at 7:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• the first time i died my hair, i was 12. my mom had my aunt do it for me. ive died it a bunch of different colors. my mom has always let me express myself and look the way i want to look, and i love that and will do the same thing for my kids.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I have 3 daughters. I'd had my oldest dyed at 13 (professionally highlighted) and have dyed her hair black, auburn, and have put in auburn highlights. I think its a personal choice for you. My oldest is a honor student, never in trouble, and is an all around good kid, so its ok by me. We have a fun night and she dyes mine, I dye her's and we chat while doing so.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i would let her dye it honestly..shes almost 14 shes a teen now and a lot of girls do at that age, im sure she just wants to fit in at that age
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 8:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Honestly i think you should just let her do it. Its ONLY HAIR! My DD Abby is 14 (15 on Nov 23) and has done this a few times. Kids need to be able to express themselves so you should probably be thankful ALL she wants to do is dye her hair a little. It is temporary so its not like its a tatoo she will have forever! Now does she want a full head or just some streaks? Abby has done pink streaks and also blue tips in the past. They actually came out looking pretty good! As a parent we must pick our battles, in this situation I would really just say let her to do it. Its not going to harm her and its only hair,it will grow out. GL
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You need to choose your battles carefully. Haircolor is a safe form of expression.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my mom & i used to go to lunch & then the salon together when i was a teen it was a fun way to spend time together. but ur the mom, do what u feel is best, but its just hair. good luck! ask her why she wants it done? get her perspective.
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I think you should let her do it. There's alot worse that she could ask for. Wait til she wants to get her tongue pierced...LOL...just kidding. But its just hair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree with the other moms, you have to choose your battles. It's a safe & harmless form of expression. If you help her or take her to the salon for her birthday, then 1) you still have some control and can make sure that it still looks nice and 2) it's a chance for you to bond with her & for her to feel comfortable coming to you with things, 3) if you let her, this may be the last time bc it may just lose that "forbidden" appeal! Good luck!
    Momof3cuties

Answer by Momof3cuties at 8:58 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Try a temporary color. She is just wanting to experiment and it is a safe fun thing to do. Girls and guys at our high school used to dye their hair with kool-aid, got some wild colors a week or so later it washed out. Also this time of year you can get some cool stuff for hair in the halloween section of walmart.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I had the same situation w/dd, same age. we finally compromised and we're getting colored clip in extensions, they have them that are real hair and some are synthetic. Temp. color is good too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Sep. 17, 2009