What should I do? (shoplifting?)

Ugh, I feel awful! I went to the store to pick up some things we had to have, and took my 3 year old and newborn out for the first time by myself. I worked all day and picked them up from daycare and went into the store. I spent the entire time trying to figure out how to keep them both in the buggy, and how to get everything I needed into the buggy as well. At the counter I tried to get everything paid for and back into the buggy with both kids which is pretty much impossible once its in bags and keep my 3 year old from screaming for a sucker that was at the register. I get to my car and load everything and get the kids into the car and notice I didnt pay for the deoderant. I just couldnt imagine dragging them both out to go back in so I just went home. Now I feel so guilty, but am afraid if I take it back to pay for it they will still say something about it. I am tempted to just mail them $4. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Shopping

• My DD and I were in TJ MAXX like 4-5 months ago and I got a few outfits for her and paid. We walked to the bus station to go home and I see my DD (16 mo old) says "see, pretty" I felt so bad that I call the store and told them that my DD had the bottoms to PJ they told me thank you for calling not to worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Call the manager, explain the situation and ask if you can mail it in or come to the office the next time you are there. I have done similar things and I try not to feel awful about myself when it is a completely honest mistake.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Next time you go to the store I would just go to customer service, tell them what happened and say you want to pay for it. They aren't going to care. They will be in shock that you were honest. They will either take your money or tell you not to worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would take it back when you have time. explain to the management what happened, pay for it. It happens all the time, they will understand. If you ment to take it you wouldnt be there paying for it.

I take the fabric bags with me, as I shop I fill the bags, put them on the check out and they unbag,ring up and rebag my things. Keeps me from loosing the little things that tend to get forgotten about in the madness.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• People probably will bash me for this. If they did not catch it at the check out, don't stress over it. It's not like you meant to do it.

One time I was shopping for jeans. I threw a pair of jeans over my arm. And kept on shopping. Well I forgot they where there. Went and paid for everything but the jeans on my arm. The cashier did not even say anything about them. I walked out of the store and was about to get into the car and noticed them. I was freaking out. I just went back in and gave them back. They looked at me funny and didn't do anything to me.

Answer by louise2 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Theoretically, I'd take it back with me next time I went in and pay for it at customer service. Actually, I'd probably let it slide and drop a couple of bucks in the store charity collection instead because I'd be too embarrassed to admit to doing something that silly! Fortunately the only time I've ever stolen anything was when the offspring grabbed a small plastic sign from a DVD store so we just too it back. I was pretty mortified but he was less than a year old and just in that grabby stage so it's not like he was really stealing.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Honestly, it's a small item, things like that happen. Just let it go. It's not like you did it on purpose or it happens every time you are there. Just think about all the times they overcharged you for an item and you didn't realize it until later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• This happened to me once and I went home and waited for dh to come home and went back tot he store and paid ofr it. I told customer service what happened. If that isn't possible have dh go in and explain what happened and pay for it.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:19 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• You may be on camera, secret camera. Call up tell the manager , not the person who answers, and see what they say. They may roll back to try to find stuff etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• dont worry i did that with nail polish once, it was a mistake, you didnt mean to steal it and it doesnt matter really! if it makes you feel better, figure the value of what you accidentally took and give that to charity.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009