Do you in laws bring a card or gift after you have a baby?

We have a new Grand baby! How Wonderful! I buy through out the pregnancy! I buy really sweet ,needful, wonderful things, cute things , spoiling things etc. Needful things.Balloons, flowers, candy, money, food etc... The only problem is we're unemployed! I have no money for health care or even the basics! But I have to buy things for the grand child! I saved to do this! I even sold some items to do this! Its gifts from the heart! I also figure if I did it for other grand children. I have to do the same for this grand child to be fair!But the other side the in laws. Theybuy nothing, Not even a card. I know they can afford to! I mean their income is very High! Where spending a paycheck in their local bar isn't unheard of! Or buying stuff you don't need just to spend! But their first, Grand son. And nothing! Is this common? Not even a card? Especially since this family is down on their luck. And very, very needy!.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well you should buy stuff for the baby because you want to and it makes you happy to help your kid and grandkid. if they don't want to buy anything, that's their problem...... it would be nice of them but it's not an obligation
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It's not a competition.

Just because things are bought for one grand child does not mean they have to be bought for another.

Just because it's their first grandchild does NOT mean they HAVE to buy a gift for it. Gifts are NEVER obligatory, they are gifted because the giver WANTS to give, not because it's a requirement. I kept my son home from a birthday party because the invitation included a list of "Gift Suggestions" from the mother! NO WAY will I ever be REQUIRED to provide a GIFT.

I'm curious as to how you know they've done nothing. I can honestly say I never let my in-laws know what my family did for my kids. It's not their business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• My mother has not been able to y my 6 month old daughter anything. She's very ill and living off of disability. But, it doesn't matter. I love her and her encouraging words and advice are more than enough. My in laws on the hand, spoil the crap out the baby. My SO and i are having to raise my 5 year old sister and my in laws even spoil the crap out of her. It's not needed or necessary, but they enjoy it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• my parents and in laws did not buy us any gifts or anything after our son was born. they did buy us gifts before he was born but if they couldn't afford it, we would understand. if you live nearby maybe you can offer to help by bringing a dinner over or doing laundry, if they want you to. :D congrats on your grandchild!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009