asked before need more answers....is this normal?

my son came home from school the other day and told me and his daddy that there is a girl in his class that he holds hands with on the playground. I think its cute but my husband keeps telling him hes too young for this and he doesnt need to do this. I know that my daughter (to this day) isnt big on touching anyone. she just doesnt do it and she doesnt like to be touched so when he told me this i really wasnt sure what my response should be (my son and this girl are in kindergarten) and i saw them a couple of days later together in line to leave the building and i still think its sweet, but i am wondering now after listening to my husband say its not normal, if hes right or not! so is this normal and wat should my reaction be?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 8:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My best friend and I got married on the playground when we were 5. We just held hands, pledged to be together for ever, kissed, and then went on playing. A couple of years after that we stopped playing together because playing with the opposite sex was just weird and there was a high risk of cooties. We were friends again in HS but never together as a couple. Still, we never did get an imaginary divorce so I guess I'm kind of a bigamist now ;-)

So yeah, total normal and probably very short lived. I'd just keep an eye on them if they have play dates together, just to make sure they're not playing doctor...
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:48 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Id say your husband is more concerned about his 5 yr old Boy hangin with a girl instead of the other boys.
    Angelgurl13

Answer by Angelgurl13 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Call your Dr and ask. Even the Dr's nurse will talk to you on the phone for free. or look up Depo side effects on their web site.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Hmmm...that last one is a little confusing. Anyway, we had this discussion last year because the same things was happening with my son and a girl at school (they were in 1st grade). I wasn't real worried, neither was the teacher other than the other kids teasing them. After a while the teasing stopped and they kept on as friends. Now it is more like they are really good friends and the other kids just think it is normal for them to play together, because they always do. Don't make a big deal about it, if you do he might think there is something wrong with being such good friends with a girl.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:54 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• It's perfectly normal. As long as nothing else is going on. Tell your hubby to get his mind out of the gutter.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• When I was in pre-k my mom came to pick me up during naptime one day and found me sleeping on the same mat as my "boyfriend" and through kindergarten he and I would hold hands throughout recess.... we went to different schools after that but through an odd twist of fate I ended up as his blind date to his (and my best friend's) 10th grade homecoming dance. Haven't seen or talked to him since...but guess what... kids at 4-6 years old live through imitation...they know that boys and girls are "supposed to" hold hands and have boyfriends and girlfriends cuz they hear big kids or adults talk about it. It's cute and harmless; but like another mom said, though, be sure to limit their unsupervised play to avoid any "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" situations!
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009