asked before need more answers....is this normal?

my son came home from school the other day and told me and his daddy that there is a girl in his class that he holds hands with on the playground. I think its cute but my husband keeps telling him hes too young for this and he doesnt need to do this. I know that my daughter (to this day) isnt big on touching anyone. she just doesnt do it and she doesnt like to be touched so when he told me this i really wasnt sure what my response should be (my son and this girl are in kindergarten) and i saw them a couple of days later together in line to leave the building and i still think its sweet, but i am wondering now after listening to my husband say its not normal, if hes right or not! so is this normal and wat should my reaction be?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 8:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Totally normal. My DS is in kindy and likes holding hands with girls. When my DD was in kindy she would hold hands with girls or boys- she still will hold hands with girls (she`s in grade 2) and occasionally still holds hands with one boy who she is really good friends with.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 8:27 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• You will not think it is so cute when your son comes home one day when he is 15 or so and says he got a girl pregnant. Your DH is right to worry about this now. Nip it in the bud now.

Answer by louise2 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• At some point he's going to be thinking girls are icky. I say it's pretty normal/ innocent. You have to go with your gut. The ONLY thing I have to say about it is "flu". We are trying to teach kids in preschool to keep your hands to yourself to prevent the spread of colds/flu.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• How old is he?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:39 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it as long as he is not calling her his girlfriend. My dd like mummy22kids's ds is a very physical person even at age 18. She will put her arm around her friends as she walks around with them and has even been labeled because of it. Some individuals are just more physical then others. If he starts referring to her as his girlfriend ask him to define the word. It could just means he views her as a friend who happens to be a girl. If it becomes more than innocent I would talk to him and explain that he is too young for this type of thing.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 8:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Holy shit, louise, that is SOOOO not true! Just because a kid has a puppy dog crush on a girl in kindergarden does NOT mean he's going to be an irresponsible teenager!

I think your husband is way overreacting. Holding hands is cute and innocent. There's nothing wrong with it and it's not too young. LOTS of kids do that. It's normal.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• According to my husband, and we also have a boy, he says this means nothing. To be honest he may be seeing it as a gesture she is his friend, or he may be mimicking the fact you and daddy do this, as long as he's not doing anything inappropriate (and you'd know because your mommy alarms would go off, like kissing...) then I'd not be too worried, holding hands isn't inappropriate and my eldest held hands on the playground with her best friend at the time which was male, to her he was her friend.

If you're really concerned ask him why he does it, see what he says, it is more than likely innocent and he will say he likes her or she's his friend, if you don't like it then this is your open door to say "That you think it's great he feels that way but not something to do to everybody you like or are friends with, only family". I wouldn't blame you for not wanting him to hold just anybodies hands whether it boy, girl or stranger.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:33 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Ati 13. That is JMO. Elananme, would get back to us when her DS is 18, and tell how he is doing

Answer by louise2 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 17, 2009