My 6 month old keeps pulling at her ear and her teeth.... what do I do???

She tugs her ear til her fingernails scratch into her skin. I've taken her to the doc. but they just gave her amoxicillin. It didn't do anything. I can't afford another doc. visit and I'm scared. I really need some helps. (yes... I'm new at this.)

BeautyUnknown

Asked by BeautyUnknown at 8:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you have her finish all of the antibiotics? If not that was the first mistake. It definitely sounds like she has an ear infection. You could try calling the doctor and see if they can call in another script for her. Just make sure you tell them that the Amox didn't seem to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If this is not normal and recently started I would go back to the doctor or conduct some online research on your own. My husband's grandson pulls on his ears when he gets tired. Due to her young age it could be a new habit she is forming. If she did have an ear infection finished the antibiotics and you still suspect an infection I would take her back. My daughter was prone to ear infections and I remember one time it took them three different antibiotics before she got better.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 8:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• She finished it completely. the doc keeps tryin to put her on a decongestant. thats for adults tho. im new to the area. i dont trust this doc.
    BeautyUnknown

Answer by BeautyUnknown at 8:53 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• she screams in pain. im worried i may have to take her the the hospital. im doing research now.. thats kinda y i put this question out. they say moms know best. thank yall for helping.
    BeautyUnknown

Answer by BeautyUnknown at 8:56 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• question... does she have eczema ?
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 8:59 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i learned something from my pedi kids with eczema tend to have really bad problems with their ears and scratching at them. my dd would do it till its raw and bloody, we used hydrocortizone cream for it and it works
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 9:02 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If the doctor put her on antibiotics, she probably had an ear infection. If the medication didn't work, I would take her back. If you wait it will only make it worse, it will not go away by itself. Good Luck, hope she feels better soon.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:15 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• did the dr say ear infection?
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 9:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• If she's fussy and running a fever then she's more than likely either teething or ear infection. If you're unsure and don't want to dish out the co-pay w/o knowing for sure you can buy an ear scope at most drug stores for really cheap, they're nice to have and can be re-used over and over during her growing years. Hope she gets well :-)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:24 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• first of all your child can be teething my son always pulls at his ears. i his hair was so long i actually got it cut but that didnt help at all. i was told that when the babies start to teethe they can pull at there ears its perfectly normal
    kcurci87

Answer by kcurci87 at 9:01 AM on Sep. 17, 2009