Help...!?

I have a 2 year old daughter and a newborn. Currently I am a SAHM who is being driven crazy by 2 year old because she has a serious attitude problem. I've tried everything I know to do to try to help her, and I know that it comes mainly from boredom. She gets bored gets into trouble and then fights with me. We currently live in an apartment and she has no real place to go outside and play to get rid of the energy. So I guess what I'm getting at is what can I do to help with her boredom and what can I do when she is acting out?

ramita

Asked by ramita at 9:03 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I guess like u said she needs to release some energy take her and the newborn to the mall, go to the park, etc.
    melk819

Answer by melk819 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Your situation is all to familiar! We live on the ground level of our apartments so my husband drilled two holes onto the upstairs neighbors balcony and we connected a swing to it. She can't swing real high but she definitely enjoys it
    lathena

Answer by lathena at 9:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• having a newborn and a toddler is hard. they want to go out, you want to stay in. i know what you're going through, lol. maybe when your SO gets off work he can take her to the park, but doing inside activities are great too. you can paint with her (painting with pudding is easier, and you don't have to worry about her eating it :) she can color, read to her, have her help out with the new baby, i.e. throwing away the diaper, getting the diaper/wipes for you, getting the baby dressed. the best thing to do though, is to put them on the same schedule. have them go to bed the same time, nap and eat at the same time. i did this with my newborn and 16 month old. only difference was the baby ate a couple times more than the toddler. during this time, i'd put on a cartoon or give him a toy i knew would occupy him for a while. having them on the same schedule is great, this way you have better chances of entertaining them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• At my son's school they have a little excercise trampoline that they make the kids jump on to get their energies out if they are acting up in class. It seems pretty effective. You can buy them at wal-mart and I don't think they are all that expensive.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• That is a hard situation to be in. Maybe try to find a playgroup, that way she can play, there will be other adults to talk to, and more than likely other women who wouldn't mind holding your baby ( once you get to know them). Try rotating her toys. Even if she only has a few out at a time, every time you change them, it is like new toys all over again. Or try painting in the bathtub. She can make a mess, and then it is easy clean up.

http://www.essortment.com/all/kidsactivities_rrxl.htm

Hope you find some ideas that work for you.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I know it's hard to have a newborn and a toddler. Mine were 19 months apart. It did get easier, especially once I realized that the baby did not have her brother's dairy allergy that made our lives miserable for a long time. Get a sling or front carrier and take them for a walk, to the mall, playground. By having baby in the carrier your 2 yr old can use the stroller as needed or be a "big girl." It will get both of you out and give her some of the attention and exercise she needs.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:31 AM on Sep. 17, 2009