Found out I have problem w/ fertility. Doctor wants to offer medication. Anyone have to take these? Which brand? Did they work? Did you have mutiples?

I read about some of the medications. But I want real stories. I am not sure which one to take. What about chances with mutiples? Obviously you know that I'm in a 'dark' place and want to hear real moms because a doctors statistics don't make me feel better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I had problems with my hormone levels and I had to take clomid you take it as follows

you start your period that is day one and on days 3 thru 7 you have to take the clomid.

But I did that for 3 months and I got pregnant it does say it makes your chance for twins higher but I am only having one so I guess it is different for everyone, but it didnt say it would make you have more than twins. good luck!! I know it is awful ttc it took us 2 years of ttc before it finally happened hope it happens for you sooner.
    Miranda123006

Answer by Miranda123006 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I took clomid for three months and it made me really sick. I was so moody I didn't even want to be around me.  I refused to take any more even if that meant we would have children!  My friend is taking clomid right now and has no side effects.

I ended up switching to an injectable called folistim.  While I am not wild about giving myself a shot every night for a week, I got pregnant on the second try.  I am TTC now and I wouldn't use anything else.  It had NO side effecs for me!!

Fertility meds increase your chance of having twins from 3% to 15%.  That is still an 85% chance of only one baby at a time. I had a singleton.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Also, I had an ultrasound after I took the meds each month to determine how many eggs had ripened. This was to prevent me from conceiving more babies than my body could handle. Once I had 4 eggs, but usually I had 2 or 3. No Octo-Mom for me!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We've been TTC for 2 years and are finally going the med route. I've been taking Clomid for two cycles and am waiting to see if it worked! My follicle ultrasound this month showed that 3 eggs had been released, so odds are good!

I didn't have too many side effects except for migraines, but I drank a large cup of black tea in the morning before taking the pill which alleviated the pain a lot for me (caffeine helps me by restricting the blood vessels in the brain, which is why you get headaches during caffeine withdrawl. In some, caffeine triggers migraines, so use carefully). Everyone is different. It actually helped with a lot of my other symptoms - I had been getting very swollen and painful breasts, my skin would change texture and I would get very sad the two weeks from ovulation until my period. With Clomid, none of this happened. Plus, it did WONDERS for my sex drive! My hubby LOVES Clomid!
    TTC2Long

Answer by TTC2Long at 12:56 AM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Clomid did not work for me, so I moved on to Repronex (an injectible) and iui. The statistics for the different meds are hard to nail down because they vary depending on your circumstances (age, fertility issues, etc.), the drug you are taking (odds of multiples are less with Clomid than with injectibles), the dose you are taking, and the method being used (drugs w/ intercourse, iui, or ivf, etc.). The greatest chance of conceiving multiples comes with injectible drugs with iui because the number cannot be controlled like it is with ivf.

I think you will have to weigh your options with your doctor's help. They will know which combination of drugs and procedures is most likely to get you the result you want, and they will have to prescribe the drugs and monitor you throughout treatment. Fertility meds can be pretty dangerous when not properly monitored. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2009

• Anon :34 again - I forgot to add I conceived and gave birth to healthy twins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2009