8 yr old girl b-day party...NO gifts please. How do I word this....

My dd is turning 8 in Nov. My dd and I have decided to have a party and have the kids bring either books or gift cards to donate to a local charity, womans shelter, or a place like Ronald McDonald House.

I think this is a great idea, with the holidays so close to the party I hope it will have a great reeception!

How do I word this on the invites?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 9:16 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just like you worded it here, simple enough.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:18 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Please bring a book, gift card, or make a donation to a local charity or woman's shelter instead of bringing a gift. Thank You!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• What you have sounds great; good luck!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:19 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• No gifts please, we would rather have everyone bring something to donate to a local charity or women's shelter, they are in need of books, clothes or gift cards. Your genorosity is greatly appreciated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I would say. "If you would like to give a gift, please bring an unwrapped gift to be donated to X" I wouldn't specify gift card or book. Another option would be to pick an animal shelter as your charity. The you could say something about how much your DD like animals (cats, dogs) and ask the attendee to bring dog food or cat food. Shelters ALWAYS need donations! Canned goods or food to be donated to a shelter for Thanksgiving would be good too., Easy and doesn't feel so intrusive as to be directing them to bring a gift.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:43 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I agree with Drewlove... I wouldn't specify "book or giftcard" but rather something along the lines of:
    "DD just can't think of a thing she needs right now so she would like to donate all of her gifts to X charity -" Then specify the types of donations the charity accepts . Try to pick some sort of toy drive and if you can, provide a website address so that they can learn more about it... I work for a charity medical clinic and we are looking for toy donations of any type for our Christmas gift giving event... so maybe I'm a little biased but I think you should find a local charity that is collecting toys for Christmas. So many kids (at least around here) don't what it's like to wake up Christmas morning to a room full of gifts and for many of the kids we see the gifts we give them will be all they get.
    Regardless of what you choose, I think what your daughter is doing is very selfless, mature and beautiful! Great job
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 17, 2009