Ear Piercing

Did you get you child's ears pierced? Why or why not? How old was (s)he and why did you choose that age? Where did you have it done? Thanks!

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 9:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I haven't yet but probably will when my DD is a bit older if she wants to. She's only 7 and I think that's a bit young to take care of the piercings and make sure they don't get infected. I will let her at about 10, I was 10 when I got mine done and was responsible enough to remember to turn them so the skin didn't heal over the earrings, and also responsible enough to keep them clean so they didn't get infected.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 9:34 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i wont till she comes to me asking for them done, then we will make a day of it i dont agree with it done as babies
    anarosenewman

Answer by anarosenewman at 9:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I got my daughter's ears pierced when she was 4 months old. I did it then because it was easy to clean it and to get it over with. I've heard several people state that they have a fear of shots because they remember getting their ears pierced. I didn't want her to have that.
    lathena

Answer by lathena at 9:35 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• We got my daughters done when she was 7 months old. We chose to do it then because it was easier to keep clean than a child who has the coordination to play with them. She cried for a second and once they were done, she went back to playing with daddy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• By the way she is now older and she loves them!! She likes buying new earrings
    lathena

Answer by lathena at 9:36 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't have a daughter, but I can tell you that my mom had my ears pierced when i was 3 months old. She didn't want me to be scared because of anticipation or remember the pain.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:37 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• i think it is wrong to defile your child as an infant its done then only for selfish reasons,unless your child is so smart that she says i want them pierced now mom, which i highly doubt so its done only for your selfish wants/needs not what they want/need
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• In february DD was 4 .. she came to me and asked me (at Christmas time then kept nuggin me)

I went to the jewlery store... here's my reasoning-- a co worker and friend of mine is an Er Dr where I work and he said this.. "it is not the letters after ones name that makes them the pro it's the frequency at which they do it aka their experience in doing it" I called my pediatrician and asked him how often he did them the answer about 40 a year.... I called the jewlery store and asked the same ? she said "I do about 200 a week most are on Saturday and Sunday" LOL so the decision was pretty easy I've had no problems
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:41 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• Yeah we are debating but want to do it when she is young enough for US to be responsible for the healing process. My mom and little sister went to have my sister's done when she was 7... a few days later my mom was in a near fatal car accident and my sister had a hard time. Idk if it's my mom's car accident or just my own personal thought on it but I am really leaning towards having it done when my daughter is very young. Where would we even do that as a baby though? I would want something reputable for dealing with one so young...

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:42 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I don't think it's selfish to have a very common thing done that she can choose not to wear when she is older. I would much prefer to have it done early where it is an option for her to wear such jewelry without having the pain of the procedure or aftercare to remember. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion anon...

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:44 PM on Sep. 16, 2009